"Cannot find registry information for xplorer2_UC...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

greh

"Cannot find registry information for xplorer2_UC...

Post by greh »

Problem: "Cannot find registry information for xplorer2_UC.
Please run xplorer2 first"

I'm now running x2 Ultimate as a Portable on w7 32bit from a folder on D:\
(standard w7 install on C:\)

[ Whenever possible, I prefer to run my apps as portables from a folder on D:\ ]

Earlier today I realized I was continuing to run the app from the standard install
@ C:\Program Files, so I used the program's uninstaller to uninstall the installed version,

and said "Yes" to "delete Registry settings",
since I'd just copied the active "x2settings.ini" file over to the portable folder on D:\,

while also making sure that the settings are saved to the "install folder"
in the "x2settings.ini" file as per the instructions for creating a portable -

I tested for the viability of the settings file by making some changes,
then clicked "Save settings now", then watched as the file's time stamp updated,
indicating everything is fine in that regard --
settings ARE being saved to the D:\ portable folder.

Another success indicator is that all my Bookmarks are saved/functional,
as I'd expect by copying over the .ini settings file before uninstalling @ C:\Program Files.

BUT ! now when I want to change some settings that are only available through the
"Settings Editor", and click Tools > Advanced Options,
I get the error message listed at the top of the thread.

How can this be fixed?

>> I do NOT want to store my settings at User>AppData>Roaming, etc.,
even if the app is being run from the hdd instead of from a usb.

The otherwise wonderful "Atlantis" document program has this "flaw" --
it won't store ALL of its settings as a True Portable unless it's run from USB --

[edit: tho' I'll eventually "FIX-FORCE" this by making either a ThinApp or Spoon/Xenocoded version of the install :twisted: ]

I want full, "true" portability according to my definition & need in this way.

Thanks very much for your help.
Last edited by greh on 2013 May 27, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: "Cannot find registry information for xplorer2_UC...

Post by FrizzleFry »

you need to run the x2se from x2 (Tools/Advanced options) rather than exit x2 then run x2se... apparently when you run x2se outside x2 it only looks in the registry for settings...
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi FrizzleFry,
How do you run the Advanced Settings Editor from x2 (Tools/Advanced options) without closing xplorer² first?

If I click “Tools | Advanced Options…” in x2, I get a message asking me if it’s OK to close x2. I cannot open the Advanced Settings Editor without closing x2 first.

If I try to run “x2SettingsEditor.exe” from the x2 home folder directly, I get a message telling me that I need to close the running instance of x2 first.
greh

Post by greh »

@FrizzleFry - yes, I studied your earlier thread about a similar difficulty you were having w/ the Editor,
but decided that my problem was different enough to warrant a new thread.

... and btw - I DID attempt to run Settings Editor by invoking it from Tools > Advanced Options ...

>> Since I created the thread yesterday, I did a new install w/ the latest Ultimate,
but this time I installed it straight-away to a folder on D:\,
then ran the uninstaller for the original C:\ installation and chose to delete the registry settings.

Upon checking the registry, it's clean of entries.

Now when I click on Tools > Advanced Options, it successfully gives me the standard sequence ....

"There are more advanced options ......." , x2 closes, the Editor opens, and Life is wonderful :beer:

BUT! interestingly, a User-command I created to make an "Advanced Options" button for the menu bar
continues to glitch in the way I described in the first post.

My User-command looks like this:
Name: Adv.O

Description: > "D:\0..Apps.p\x2_2.3.0.1.p\x2SettingsEditor.exe"

Icon: Plain
Do I need to change the way I've coded my User-command?

Thx again for any helps ~
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Try adding the full path for your settings file as a parameter in your user command... your current user command is no different than just double clicking on x2se...

Description: > "D:\0..Apps.p\x2_2.3.0.1.p\x2SettingsEditor.exe" "D:\0..Apps.p\x2_2.3.0.1.p\x2settings.ini"

this seemed to work for me running it from a cmd window and as a user command... it needed the full path... several other command lines gave me the cannot find registry info error...

you could probably also use MenuHack but my Menu_Commands.txt list does not show the command code for Advanced options... neither does the one in the MenuHack thread...

Robert2,

According to Nikos the best way to run x2se when you are using a settings file rather than the registry is to run it from Tools/Advanced options... I close all but one x2 window before I run x2se but I still get two warning dialogs when I run x2se... running x2se outside of x2 defaults to using the registry but apparently you can pass the settings file as a parameter to x2se...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote:you could probably also use MenuHack but my Menu_Commands.txt list does not show the command code for Advanced options... neither does the one in the MenuHack thread...
Use 33147 to invoke the SE via MenuHack. Not exactly the most oft-used thing, so it seems odd to do it this way, but it works. :shrug:
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I've meant to mention it for ages but was reminded by this thread now.

Wouldn't it be practical if x2se would not only close x2 but offer to start it up again after the settings are done and the editor is closed? Especially in the portable situation and when working on other computers with it?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I would find it annoying because I typically run x2 with an alternate layout (using the /S: parameter) but since I don't run x2se all that much it would be minor... like when x2 is run after install...

Kil, thanks for that code... not something I'll ever use probably but nice to have...
greh

Post by greh »

@FrizzleFry ---> :inlove: & these are on me > :beer:

(your longer string works -
Description: > "D:\0..Apps.p\x2_2.3.0.1.p\x2SettingsEditor.exe" "D:\0..Apps.p\x2_2.3.0.1.p\x2settings.ini"
& I've seen that necessity once before ... hopefully I remember it for the next occurrence)

srsly, thx mon ~ us wannabe coders rejoice w/ every lil' step we make towards greater understanding of how to git 'er dun

`
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote:...not something I'll ever use probably but nice to have...
As explained previously (to you of all people! :wink:) all codes may be found in the resources themselves - and, indeed, even used in reverse for our benefit in more ways that just MenuHack!

For example, as explained in that link, assign a User-Command to a keyboard shortcut (one of the useless ones that normal humans can't remember), like (as shown) <Ctrl+Alt+9> which just happens to be 45049. You may then take that "invented" 45049 number and create an extra menuitem entry yourself in any menu you want that points to any command/utility that you created yourself (script-utility or whatever).

This is then accessible via the keyboard/mouse/menus like any other command all without the clutter of extra toolbar buttons, or having to remember loopy shortcuts like <Ctrl+Alt+9>, or trying to find it in the long "Customise" menu. In other words, editing the menus isn't just for moving/removing Nikos' commands - it's for adding your own into x2, "natively".

How's that for a sneaky bit of lateral thinking? :D