How to disable "filter" box?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

How to disable "filter" box?

Post by ZoNi »

I would like to disable filter box, since I have one borring problem.

If I have more files that start with the same letter, I browse through those files by pressing that character again and again, until I select file that I need.

Problem is that after third time same letter pressed, Filter box become active and selected! That is not what I want ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How to disable "filter" box?

Post by Kilmatead »

Two Solutions:

1. Set Tools -> Advanced Options -> Layout Settings -> Incremental Search Auto-Filter to 0. This will disable the focus-stealing, while leaving the filterbox still available for manual selection.

2. Set Tools -> Advanced Options -> Layout Settings -> Filter Box Size (% of Addressbar) to 0. This will remove the filterbox completely, if you don't have a use for it.

Ironically, of course, the whole point of it was to eliminate the silly repetitive pressing of the same key over and over to find things - but to each their own. :wink:
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Solution 1 is what I need :)

BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Kilmatead wrote:Ironically, of course, the whole point of it was to eliminate the silly repetitive pressing of the same key over and over to find things - but to each their own. :wink:
This may be true. But for me it interfered with (quick) selecting files with Ctrl-Space so much sending it as spaces in the filter box that I simply didn't see a benefit in this.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

BRX wrote:...selecting files with Ctrl-Space so much sending it as spaces in the filter box...
Not using the keyboard to select files, I never noticed that, but you're right - and there's no rational reason for it to be allowed considering that windows does not allow filenames to start or end with <Space> characters, so leading spaces should never be trapped. I'd class that as a bug. Not one of those big evil baby-stealing bugs like they have in Thailand, but enough of a bug to arouse an attentive spider's dinner-sense.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Actually I've managed to create filenames that start with space, usually accidentaly... WE might prevent it but it seems valid...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Maybe those were hard-spaces? I was just going by what happens when you edit/rename an object and intentionally prefix/suffix spaces to the name - it's auto-stripped before applying. :shrug: (Even when holding <Ctrl> or <Shift> which is the usual means of inserting hard-whitespace.)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

actually you can rename files or folders with leading spaces using Ctrl-F2... you have to use Ctrl-F2 to remove those leading spaces...
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Create a file, say "asdf". Then, from command prompt, enter the command

Code: Select all

ren asdf "     qwer     "
and you will have a weirdly spaced out filename (Win 7 Ult 64-bit).