Still pressing Ctrl-D twice to view subfolder size

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

shornby

Still pressing Ctrl-D twice to view subfolder size

Post by shornby »

I'm running the latest version of Xplorer 2 Ultimate x64. I have experienced this for years now. It's very frustrating.

- I have the "calculate subfolder size automatically" set.
- My size column is "Size [S]".
- I still see "Folder" in this column - until I hit ctrl-d twice

I even set up a button on the bar, which was really hard to find - it's called "Measure". I have turn measure off, then on to see the sub-folder sizes.

Seriously - can this be fixed? I love Xplorer2, but this is really driving me nuts - especially when I know it's calculating the sizes (and not showing the data!).

Thanks,

Steve
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Still pressing Ctrl-D twice to view subfolder size

Post by Kilmatead »

Just to clarify, this happens when browsing ALL folders? No sizes are shown for subfolders automatically no matter where you are browsing?

Pressing <Ctrl+D> twice should only ever be necessary when in Root folders of drives - this is intentional to prevent resource hogging (unnecessary enumeration of the Windows folder contents, for example).

If this is necessary for you for all folders, then it may be something specific to your machine which is interfering, or possible settings corruption. Are you using the registry to store settings, or the INI? What happens when you completely remove your current settings (delete the registry key, for example - backing it up first), and then setting the "Calculate" checkbox, with all other settings as stock?
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

Kilmatead wrote:Just to clarify, this happens when browsing ALL folders? No sizes are shown for subfolders automatically no matter where you are browsing?
Yes i have the same issue since upgrading to a 2.x version of Xplorer2 on Windows 7 x64 SP1. I have v2.3.0.1 (unicode) 64-bit.

1.x updates folder size fine.

I cannot find any zabkat keys in the Registry (although Options > save program state to registry is checked). Where is the registry key? I would prefer to save to an ini file. How do I do that?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The x2 registry key is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc". Back it up first (Actions -> Export Settings), then make sure x2 is not running (use File -> Exit or <Alt+X> to be sure), and delete that key. All your settings will be returned to "stock" and you can see if the size-computation works correctly or not under those conditions. An alternative method is simply to uninstall x2 selecting the option to remove registry settings when prompted, then re-install it.

If you are using x2 Ultimate, Tools -> Options -> Save Program State on Exit will have a dropdown box next to it offering the options of saving to "Registry, a File in Installation Folder, or a File in AppData Folder". Either of the two latter ones will create an INI file.

However, first check what happens when all your settings are reset as I described above - that will at least indicate whether this is a settings corruption problem, or something particular on your machine.
jmopish

Post by jmopish »

i have just installed xplorer2 and also do not see folder sizes. i have "calculate subfolder size automatically " checked, but it isn't happening. only after highlighting a folder and then pressing ctrl-d Twice, do the sizes appear.
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

Kilmatead wrote:The x2 registry key is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc". Back it up first (Actions -> Export Settings), then make sure x2 is not running (use File -> Exit or <Alt+X> to be sure), and delete that key. All your settings will be returned to "stock" and you can see if the size-computation works correctly or not under those conditions.
I tried it, but it still does not calculate unless there are only one or two folders. Otherwise CTRL + D twice is essential almost all the time, even with the Preference set to calculate folder size automatically.

Calculation may occur if I double-click on a folder to enter that folder.

On launch of Xplorer2, where I have a tab per drive at the root of each drive, there is no calculation, despite CTRL + D twice does the job in a couple of seconds.

Win 7 SP1 2.4 GHz dual core, 6 GB RAM.

I think prefs should have an option to force the calculation by doing CTRL + D internally or whatever is needed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you talking about network folders? There folder sizes are disabled unless you untick the option for "faster network access" (Tools > Options > Advanced page)
jmopish

Post by jmopish »

nikos wrote:are you talking about network folders? There folder sizes are disabled unless you untick the option for "faster network access" (Tools > Options > Advanced page)

I am talking about any folders within any other folders. It is not about root folders, or network folders. any collection of sub folders. i have not tried looking at network folders.

i am using win7 x68.
Nikos: are you using win7 x68?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I cannot reproduce the reported behavior running x2 v2.3.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 on win7 x64 sp1.
Do you mean x86?? x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit.

PS - Nor can I reproduce the reported behavior running 32 bit x2 v2.3.0.1 ULT [Unicode] on 32 bit (x86) win7 sp1.

Maybe if you describe your setup in more detail someone can help track down what's causing your issue.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi,
I never paid attention to it, but I have the same issue in xplorer² “2.3.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 08/03/2013” on Windows 8 64 bit.
I normally display folders in “List” mode. When I select a folder with a click, the status bar caption says “folder: 0b;” most of the time. If I press “Enter” to open the folder, the caption still says “folder: 0b;”. I have to press “Ctrl+D” twice to get a proper value. I can also change the “Views” type from “List” to “Details”: when xplorer² calculates the file and subfolder sizes, I get a proper value on the status bar.

Of course, “Calculate subfolders size automatically”, “Show total folder size”, and “Natural number sort” are on in the Options. “Byte file size limits for extracting…” is set to 0.

I have just found out something.

The folders with “0b;” value on the status bar are the folders whose listing starts with a subfolder name. If I press “Enter” to open such a folder, I invariably get the “0b;” value until I press “Ctrl+D” twice, or until I change the “Views” mode from “List” to “Details”.

On the other hand, if I press “Enter” to open a folder whose listing starts with an ordinary file (even a ZIP file), I get a proper value on the status bar.
HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

nikos wrote:are you talking about network folders? There folder sizes are disabled unless you untick the option for "faster network access" (Tools > Options > Advanced page)
No, and that option is unchecked.

I omitted to say I am on 64-bit Windows 7 but I don't think that is anything to do with it.

Doesn't your help say somewhere that you have to install some extra program to speed up folder display? I did that once but it makes no difference - I don't think it's a speed problem.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I cannot find any problem with this feature. Of course if the folders in question are big, it would take some time to calculate, but it does get there eventually. If you rely a lot on this feature try the folder size extension mentioned here
www.zabkat.com/blog/23Aug09-folder-size.htm
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

First, I must say I don’t need and I personally hardly ever use the folder size feature (for the time being, I have plenty of spare space). So my present remarks are purely academical.

If the folder size never shows up on the status bar before I have pressed “Ctrl+D” twice, it cannot be because I don’t wait long enough for the calculation to be done, or I don’t have enough system resources. I have a superfast system with 8 Gb of RAM, xplorer² is installed on a SSD, the working files, temporary files, and swap files are all placed on the SSD. Everything is happening at lightning speed. What’s more, the folder size is left at “0b;” in xplorer² even for very small folders. All it takes for “0b;” to be permanently displayed on the status bar is a folder whose listing starts with a subfolder name.

Note that pressing “Ctrl+R” does not update the folder size. I have to change the “Views” type or press “Ctrl+D” twice.

I have created screen captures of a very small folder originally containing an only file.

“screenshot01.png” shows the display after I had pressed “Enter” to open the folder.
screenshot01.png
“screenshot02.png” shows the display after I had copied a subfolder into the original folder. As you can see, the folder size was not updated to reflect the new folder contents.
screenshot02.png
“screenshot03.png” shows the display after I had pressed “Ctrl+D” twice.
screenshot03.png
to be continued... :)
Last edited by Robert2 on 2013 Jun 10, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

“screenshot04.png” shows the display after I had clicked to open the new “Bible3” subfolder. As you can see, the folder size was not updated to reflect the new folder contents.
screenshot04.png
“screenshot05.png” shows the display after I had pressed “Ctrl+D” twice.
screenshot05.png

Now suppose that I have the above display (screenshot05.png), and I press “Ctrl+R”. I get this:
screenshot06.png
As you can see, the folder size was automatically reset to “0b;”. :roll:

HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

confirmed (thanks for the picture, Robert2). ...
That narrows down the issue to "double Ctrl+D" being needed to show the total folder size in the status bar.
Further fiddling shows this happens when the view style is anything except "details".

(running x2 v2.3.0.1 [Ultimate] x64 on win7 sp1)