Tiny toolbar configuration dialog

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RipIxi

Tiny toolbar configuration dialog

Post by RipIxi »

Hi,

When I try to organize bookmarks, I get a dialog window that can be resized at will. Excellent. However, if I try to customize a toolbar, I get a small dialog box with fixed size. It is so small that it is really uncomfortable to manage the toolbar.

Is there any way to set this windows as resizable or to a bigger size?

I see this is an issue both for V1.x and V2.x, but for V2 it is worse if big icons is enabled, since you can only see 4 buttons at once.

Any hint is appreciated.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tiny toolbar configuration dialog

Post by Kilmatead »

Unfortunately, Nikos cheated and used a "built-in" Windows API for the toolbar adjustment options (to save himself the trouble of making one manually) - as it is part of Windows itself the size cannot be changed by the user. :evil:

This has been complained about many many times, but apparently Nikos never needs to adjust his toolbars so he never suffers along with the rest of us, as otherwise he would just pull his finger out and bloody well do it properly. :cry:

To make it easier to find a specific item, just highlight the column and repeatedly type the first letter of its name until it appears, which helps a little bit. Doesn't help enough, but it's better than trolling through a hundred entries by hand.
RipIxi

Post by RipIxi »

Thanks for your reply, Kilmatead,

At least, I'm not alone.

BR.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

while I can't do much to modify the fixed windows toolbar customization window, you can find your way quickly in there if you start TYPING the starting letter of the command you are after. Press it a few times and it will scroll into view
RipIxi

Post by RipIxi »

Thank you, nikos.

This is helpful.

BR.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:while I can't do much to modify the fixed windows toolbar customization window, you can find your way quickly in there if you start TYPING the starting letter of the command you are after. Press it a few times and it will scroll into view
What, is there an echo in here? Hmm... let me guess, your idea of efficiency is to not read beyond the second paragraph so you save yourself a lifetime of trouble. <Sigh>

And, by the way, you can do something about that modal, you're simply choosing not to. Let's at least be clear on that. Because you're cruel and mean and grumpy and probably had sand kicked in your face as a small boy and now you take it out on us! Woe my long suffering toolbars... :wink: Seems to me that's the kind of thing you'd inflict on your pirates, not some boring webpage. Jazz is about being creative, see? You can't have one without the other. Dialog 107 has been aching for a little brother or sister for so long now...
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

You can use following autohotkey script to dynamically resize and reposition the controls on this dialog

Code: Select all

SetTimer, WindowMonitor, 1000

WindowMonitor:
	SetTitleMatchMode 2

IfWinExist, Customize Toolbar
	 {
	   ;WinMove, Customize Toolbar, ,x, y, width,height
	   WinMove, Customize Toolbar, ,450, 150,,600
	   ; controlmove, controlname,,x,y,width,height
	   ControlMove, ListBox1,,,,500, A
	   ControlMove, ListBox2,,,,500, A
	   ControlMove, Button6,,150,,75, A
	   ControlMove, Button7,,250,,75, A
	}
return
If you do not like the timer based approach, then you can alter the above script to execute on press of some hotkey
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

That's clever. :wink:

Still a PITA, unnecessary kind of clever, but clever nonetheless. I imagine it would need a little tweaking to correctly handle scaling DPI's and so forth, and some real fun could be had using callbacks to make it truly dynamic (by way of modifying its extended style and intercepting WM_GETMINMAXINFO messages), but the core is sound enough.

In the same way as God invented alcohol to prevent the Irish from conquering the world, he gave the world Nikos so that people could spend all their time compensating for his design shortcomings (ironically in this case by compensating for MS's design failings) instead of putting energies into real projects of their own. I begin to sense a certain imbalance in that... one wonders what exactly Nikos thinks his job is anyway, sitting out there in the blue-blue Med on his corporate yacht running guns into Tunisia...