Color coding: all folders same bg colour

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Telemacus

Color coding: all folders same bg colour

Post by Telemacus »

I'm trying to figure out how to customise the bg colour for all the folders in my panes: I want all folders to appear with the same bg colour. I've tried "*.*" and then clicked on "folders", but that doesn't work.
I can do it manually with the folder names such as: a*, b*, c*, etc. and that works, but I think there probably is an easier way?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Color coding: all folders same bg colour

Post by Kilmatead »

Set up a Customise -> Colour Coding rule for folders... in the colour-coding window simply select "Folders" and unselect Files, and choose a colour, background, font-type, etc. Leave the "Named" section empty.

See page 249 of the PDF manual for more details.

For example, to show all hidden folders as being "different", that is, in boldface cyan, I use something like this...

Of course, some of us get completely carried away using colour-coding... :roll:

Or, if you're completely mad, I created a tool awhile ago for a user to be able to create and apply profiles for switching between "sets" of colour coding rules, but you'd have to be really weird to actually find a use for it. :D (I was bored...)
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Wow, you're good at this!!
I did that, and added the attributes, then D for directory, and it worked. Thanks a lot! ;)
Nikos share some of the profits! :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Be aware that colour coding rules are "exclusive by order" which means the first one found that matches its rules will be applied and any others ignored.

For example, I keep all folders in boldface, but as there are different "kinds" of folders, I have to list the specific rules first, and the more general rules after that. So if I had placed the general rule for all folders (simple boldface) before the ones for hidden folders and junctions, then the latter 2 would never actually be applied even if their attributes matched the rule.

Just something to be aware of. :D
Telemacus wrote:Wow, you're good at this
Nikos doesn't let me out of the dungeon very often so I need something to occupy my mind and stave off the vitamin D deficiency all his evil minions suffer from. :D
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Thanks for the advice!
Kilmatead wrote: Nikos doesn't let me out of the dungeon very often so I need something to occupy my mind and stave off the vitamin D deficiency all his evil minions suffer from. :D
:lol:
I'm sure a resourceful man like you will find his way out of the Cretan Labyrinth! ;)