Xplorer2 + notezilla issue

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Telemacus

Xplorer2 + notezilla issue

Post by Telemacus »

NOTE: The following is not a bug or anything of the kind.

I love Notezilla, a really awesome electronic notes program. (available from http://www.conceptworld.com/ )
Now, one notezilla's features is that it lets you add notes which will only pop up on the screen when you're using a particular program. In fact, it's so cool that you can attach notes which will only display when you've opened a particular folder in Xplorer. For example, perhaps you want to add an electronic note saying: "I have to remove doubles from this directory", or whatever. That note will only pop up when you actually open that directory. The moment you switch to another, the note disappears.
However, if you use a double pane, the program actually "sees" both, the directory in your active pane + the last active dir in the other pane and will only display the note when BOTH have been selected.:

Can someone suggest a walkaround?

Regards.
gautambjain

Re: Xplorer2 + notezilla issue

Post by gautambjain »

Hello @Telemacus,

Thanks for for your positive feedback about our sticky notes app Notezilla.

Notezilla lets you edit the title when attaching sticky notes to any window so that you can match to multiple windows using asterisk (*)

More details are given here"
1) http://www.conceptworld.com/blog/index. ... notezilla/
2) http://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla/H ... s-Websites

Hope you find the solution satisfactory.

Regards,
Gautam Jain
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Telemacus wrote:...if you use a double pane, the program actually "sees" both, the directory in your active pane + the last active dir in the other pane and will only display the note when BOTH have been selected
And therein lies the problem - Notezilla uses the title of the active window as the trigger for the note itself - and in dual-pane mode x2's window title is composed of both folders, so Notezilla waits for an exact match. The only practical workaround is to only use single-pane mode, as then the title is simply the folder itself.

As noted above by gautambjain, Notezilla does allow a very limited ability to match window titles, in that when you assign a note to a window, you can double-click an entry in the list of widows and edit it - say to something like "*Desktop*" which would display the note whenever the desktop folder is displayed in either the right or left pane, regardless of what the other pane was displaying.

This is impractical in the sense that it isn't necessarily the "active" pane, but Notezilla obviously isn't geared towards dual-pane explorers, and (for obvious reasons) x2's title is composed of both panes.

So, you have a couple of choices:

1. Use Single-pane mode

2. Target your notes to more "generic" window titles (where it only looks for a single folder-name) - if Notezilla had more advanced options for this (other than * wildcards) you could be more successful, but to do it properly they would have to amount to a regex matching system which would be somewhat crazy. :wink:

3. Request that x2 only compose the window title from the "active" pane, much like in single-pane mode. (I'd take a guess and say this would not be granted on the grounds of it being of use to very very few users.)

4. Write yourself a "background script" which would constantly set/reset x2's active window title with only the active pane path (or the contents of the addressbar, which is roughly the same thing). Obviously this is a more complex solution, but not impossible. (It would be easy enough to create at least a proof-of-concept script with a bit of thought - but would require more work to make it idiot-proof. If you don't know how to begin doing this, depending on my threshold for self-inflicted pain, I could play with this a bit, just for fun, but I make no promises.) An entertaining side-effect of this method is that you could also "fix" the <Del> key usage in scrap containers while you were at it just for a laugh - but that would not be the main purpose.

5. Request from Notezilla that they implement support for other file-managers (or, in particular that they allow the targeting of a specific control within the active window, not just the title - but I imagine they too would rule that out as being too specific per application for widespread development). Considering that all 3rd-party file managers have different formats for this, keeping compatibility would be a small nightmare, and only they can gauge whether that's worthy of investment. That said, small programmes such as Listary do go out of their way to provide excellent 3rd-party support for alternate file-managers, so it's not unreasonable to expect. :shrug:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Kilmatead wrote:If you don't know how to begin doing this, depending on my threshold for self-inflicted pain, I could play with this a bit, just for fun, but I make no promises.
Well that was anti-climactic - I made a proof-of-concept script in about 3 minutes which works perfectly to rename the xplorer2 window so Notezilla identifies it correctly on an individual per-pane basis (and fixes <Del> in scrap panes for laughs). If you're interested, send me a PM. Too easy. :shrug:
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Wow, Killmatead, that's one sharp mind you have! :)
Can you play chess by any chance?

Go raibh maith agat maité!
gautambjain

Post by gautambjain »

Thanks @Kilmatead.

It would be nice if you can share the script with us. May be we can write a blog article on Notezilla's website with that script.

Regards,
Gautam Jain