Load time of inital load of X2Pro extremely slow (5 minutes)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

geepee

Load time of inital load of X2Pro extremely slow (5 minutes)

Post by geepee »

I am on Win8.1...the inital load time of X2Pro takes up to 5 minutes.

Any subsequent loads are immediate.

Windows Explorer loads instantly.

(I have a couple of WD NAS drives attached to the network, that at any one time may or may not be available)

Any suggestions?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Load time of inital load of X2Pro extremely slow (5 minu

Post by nikos »

1. pick the starting folders away from network drives: www.zabkat.com/blog/01Jul11-starting-folders.htm
2. (obvious) start xplorer2 then let it run at all times
geepee

SOLVED-Re: Load time of inital load of X2Pro extremely slow

Post by geepee »

all though I tried both of your last suggestions, things didn't change...however, if I load Windows Explorer (quick loading) immediately before Xplorer2, I no longer have the long wait.

It seems something is kicked in by Win Explorer, that is needed by Xplorer2.

So this Thread can be marked as SOLVED.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I had a similar problem with a networked USB drive with Win 8.1. X2 not only took minutes (more than 5) to respond again - I've really come to dislike this blue circle which replaced the sandclock - but it also happened when this wasn't a start folder or in one of the panes. x2 just randomly stopped responding. When I removed the respective USB drive from the server the problem vanished. Seems to be something fishy in x2 win 8.1 or the usb drive or all of them.

I'm just thinking that x2 should have some kind of timeout, preferably configurable, so it stops searching after 10 or 15 seconds or an configurable amount of time and becomes usable without the need to terminate it in the task manager.
geepee

Post by geepee »

BRX wrote:I'm just thinking that x2 should have some kind of timeout, preferably configurable, so it stops searching after 10 or 15 seconds or an configurable amount of time and becomes usable without the need to terminate it in the task manager.
agreed...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

supposedly xplorer2 already is interruptible whenever it's reading from a potentially slow location, all you need to do is press the ESC key a few times, have you tried it in this situation?

if it doesn't work then check whethere some other display element is causing it e.g. the tree or the drivebar: turn them off and see if it improves
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, no, ESC didn't help. Does it ever when you get the "blue circle" and the message "no response" (or whatever is the English equivalent to the German "Keine Rückmeldung")?

The tree is never activated in my x2. Will check next chance if the drive bar makes a difference, but doubt it.

BTW, I forgot to mention, it wasn't using Pro but Ultimate, in case that's a difference.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

pro/ultimate won't make a difference, but it could be the drivebar or the miniscrap even. Sometimes it could be icons you put in your bookmarks and user commands too. Try to eliminate a few and see if it helps
geepee

Post by geepee »

Today, on boot-up, I waited until all operations were complete - probably about 5 minutes...Xplorer2 Pro loaded up without a hitch...so I still feel that Xplorer2 is relying on some operation that explorer loads, to startup.

Anyway, my fix is to wait the 5 minutes before launching Xplorer2, launch Xplorer2 early and wait the 5 minutes for "response" to return, or launch explorer and then launch Xplorer2...the latter is the quickest.