Get X2 to show thumbnails for PNG files in thumbnail view

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Get X2 to show thumbnails for PNG files in thumbnail view

Post by pschroeter »

I notice xplorer² doesn’t show thumbnails for PNG files though it does show a preview of the image in the Quick viewer. I also noticed thumbnails are generated for them in Windows 8 File Explorer, so I don’t think the proper handler is missing. Any ideas how I can get xplorer² to show thumbnails for PNG files too?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Get X2 to show thumbnails for PNG files in thumbnail vie

Post by nikos »

if your pngs are large in size, make sure your thumbnail extraction limit isn't set too low (TOOLS > OPTIONS menu)
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:if your pngs are large in size, make sure your thumbnail extraction limit isn't set too low (TOOLS > OPTIONS menu)
Thank you for your quick answer.
I had thought of that. I had the “limits for extracting” set to “0” for unlimited file size. As an experiment I set it to 100 million and it still doesn’t work. I created new images in both my graphics programs, Paint.NET and Gimp, and they both don’t show thumbnails in xplorer². I see the generic Paint.NET icon, which just says they are registered to open in it by default when I click on them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are these on some slow or network folder? Can you see thumbnails on your local hard disk?
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:are these on some slow or network folder? Can you see thumbnails on your local hard disk?
No, they are just on the hard drive connected to the computer in the study. I keep wondering if it could have something to do with being saved from Paint.NET.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am out of clues... try changing the thumbnail size in xplorer2 and see if there's any change
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

I thought I would try and fix this again and the problem seems to be caused by having Paint.NET set as the default program to open PNGs. I temporarily set Microsoft Paint as the default and the thumbnails showed up in X2. This is not a solution because Paint.NET is my favorite graphic editor.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the default program shouldn't make a difference for thumbnails... can you export your registry key for PNGs and paste it here?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:the default program shouldn't make a difference for thumbnails... can you export your registry key for PNGs and paste it here?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png
Sure, and thanx for the help.