blog: new xplorer2 beta 2.4.0.7

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gkarasik

Re: blog: new xplorer2 beta 2.4.0.7

Post by gkarasik »

Kilmatead wrote:If you drag & drop files within x2 then explorer is commissioned to do the copying anyway, so that already happens (replete with same dialog).

If you are using the built-in robust-copy (<F5>) when the "file conflict" dialog pops up, in the middle of it there is an edit line which allows you to rename the object (manually) before continuing the copy. This does not (unfortunately) automatically provide the incremental suffix (Nikos was rather lazy that day), but it does allow you to select a more specific name rather than having a generic one forced upon you. At any rate, it's better than stopping and starting over.

Or, to actually get what you want, there is an option under Edit -> Copy (Options) which allows you to "always rename target" - however, this removes the interference of the conflict-dialog completely so you are less aware that a rename had taken place than you ordinarily would be.
Thanks.
GaryK
Moorloch

Post by Moorloch »

You guys have a really great product, the best of its kind. I know because I review software for a living. But......

Is there no way to get an actual date of a file in the details view? Do you know how unhelpful "last year" and "long ago" are? Please give us dates.

And while I've got you here, I would LOVE to have separate buttons I could put on the toolbar for details view, thumbnails view, and any of the other views I use regularly. others. Now, switching takes three clicks. Even better would be the ability to designate folders for thumbnail, or for details, so that whenever the folder's opened it automatically display its designated view. The user wouldn't have to do anything. But I'll settle for the buttons.

L.L.Moorloch
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Moorloch wrote:Is there no way to get an actual date of a file in the details view?
Tools -> Options -> Advanced (Tab) -> User Friendly Date Column Information (tick it off).
Moorloch wrote:I would LOVE to have separate buttons I could put on the toolbar for details view, thumbnails view, and any of the other views I use regularly. others.
Right-click a toolbar and select Customise. In the left column find the item called "Views" (plural). Just hit 'v' a few times and it will appear. Do NOT select the one called "View" (singular), you want the plural one. Add it to the list of current buttons and it will give the small menu of different views, instead of wasting whole buttons just for one.
Moorloch wrote:Even better would be the ability to designate folders for thumbnail, or for details, so that whenever the folder's opened it automatically display its designated view.
Actions -> Folder Settings -> Save
Moorloch

Post by Moorloch »

Thanks, Kilmatead, for the dates tip.

But....
"Right-click a toolbar and select Customise. In the left column find the item called "Views" (plural). Just hit 'v' a few times and it will appear. Do NOT select the one called "View" (singular), you want the plural one. Add it to the list of current buttons and it will give the small menu of different views, instead of wasting whole buttons just for one."
This is what I'm trying to avoid. Click button, then click details (or thumbnails). Call me terribly spoiled but I don't like to click twice when I could click once. Because I use only details and thumbnails views, tha a button for each would only take one more button than your suggestion would. And it's an option, no one else is forced to do it my way. They could still follow your suggestions. There are so many customization available, that I'm surprised this isn't one of them.
Moorloch

Post by Moorloch »

Whoa, Kilmatead, I just noticed your last suggestions. That could be the ringer. I'm off to try it.
Moorloch

Post by Moorloch »

Yep! That was it. Thanks, Kilmatead
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Moorloch wrote:...I'm surprised this isn't one of them.
I was aiming for a certain concision (to save both of us a lot of typing) - why have 6 toolbar buttons when you can have just 1 that does the same thing? After all, toolbar-space becomes precious real-estate after awhile.

However, that being said, I never stated that it wasn't an option, it merely requires a little more effort than the other method.

First, one would require MenuHack, the approved tool for doing these kind of esoteric things in x2.

Then, one would need to create 6 separate User-Commands (or pick and choose the ones desired):

For "Large Icons", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32780
For "Small Icons", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32781
For "List", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32782
For "Details", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32783
For "Thumbnails", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32784
For "MiniThumbs", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32785

Then, one would need to create toolbar buttons for each of those commands. Finding icons to use for each one could keep one busy for awhile. :wink:

And that's it. It's a bit time-consuming, but certainly possible. If one were to calculate the amount of time it would take to read this post, create these commands, place them on a toolbar, juggle a few icons, change a nappy or two, plan for the kids' future, plan for your own retirement, make a will, bury your spouse, or let your spouse bury you, etc - and compare that to the amount of time one would spend "clicking twice" with the initial "One-Button-To-Rule-Them-All" method - then subtract the amount of times (in any given lifetime) one clicks between views, I'm not certain anyone would "break even", as they say. :D

But hey...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Moorloch wrote:Yep! That was it.
Ugh, you could have said that a little sooner. Typing all that rubbish accounts for 20-minutes of my life that I'll never get back. And I have a funny feeling I'll really really want those extra 20 minutes in another 20 years or so. :D

But, philosophically, we all only can expect to be alive for up to 5-10 seconds in the future at any given time (aeroplanes fall on houses, hearts give out, wives use knives in anger, and so on), so those 20 minutes are looking nicer all the time, never mind waiting a decade or two for the inevitable darkness of relief.
kireta

Post by kireta »

Running v 2.5.0.4

I strongly second the suggestion of a two buttons, one for detail and one for thumbnails on the Toolbar.

Any way to do this currently without going through too many hoops?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kireta wrote:Any way to do this currently without going through too many hoops?
Hoops are relative. See 2 posts up - just make two user-commands and make them into buttons. :shrug:
For "Details", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32783
For "Thumbnails", use: > {Path}\MenuHack.exe 32784
Or, look a few posts further up to just make one button which offers all views directly.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

You need to start a new thread, seriously guys adding to a old beta 2.4.0.7 thread?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

There's nothing wrong with adding to threads which people find from using search - and this one is hardly "out of date" (6 months is not necroposting - it's merely beginning to ripen :wink:). The object is to encourage people to use "search" first anyway, not just fire their weapons blind into a room of barbarians - ironically, if your man had started a new thread, I just would have linked back to this one anyway, as the answer's apt enough. :D