Feature Request: Set sort order for each tab

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MacDisein

Feature Request: Set sort order for each tab

Post by MacDisein »

It would be great if I could set the sort order for each tab instead of each pane.

I have one folder for which I set a sort order by date descending - but now each tab in this pane have the same order.

Maybe you can add this feature in one of the next versions.

Best regards

MacDisein
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Feature Request: Set sort order for each tab

Post by Kilmatead »

MacDisein wrote:I have one folder for which I set a sort order by date descending - but now each tab in this pane have the same order.
Actually this would qualify more as a bug, since the sort-order can be set/used independently per-tab - except if you save your settings with a bunch of tabs open (with different sort orders), the next time x2 opens the sort order for all will be set to whatever the last active tab was using when saving occurred. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to apply when using folder-groups - the sort orders don't appear to be saved at all for those. Odd.

So the fault lies in the saving/restoring of tabs, not in the pane itself.
MacDisein

Post by MacDisein »

Yes, you are right - the restore of the sort order settings seems to be not correct - the sort order is taken from the first tab in the pane when restoring.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I think that is how is it supposed to work.. settings are saved for each pane, not for each tab (using the active tab in each pane)
so feature request it is...

you could try saving folder settings
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If that's how it's supposed to work, it seems rather silly to me (obviously tab-states should be saved... at least in folder-groups, no?) - no wonder I never use tabs. How do you lads live like this?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

It has never bothered me because I use the same layout in all tabs in my main x2 window (list, sorted alpha)... when I want a different view I tend to open another layout...

it does make sense to save settings for each tab though... but I wont hold my breath :oops:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you want your registry to be 50% full of xplorer2 tab settings? I don't think so!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

What's to save? No need to go overboard - as FrizzleFry suggested, "folder settings" themselves let you off the hook for the majority of permanent settings, but an extra dword per tab to denote sort column or pane-view would seem reasonable - after all, tabs should behave as one "expects" them to, not as someone else dictates "must be". :wink: Considering that tabs need so much work anyway (opening with middle-mouse-button, etc), you might as well have a bonanza party and get it over and done with.

On the plus side, I'll say no more about it since I don't use 'em. :wink: (Which is no surprise given their dilapidation!)
fiveolddogs

Post by fiveolddogs »

nikos wrote: 2014 May 19, 06:31 do you want your registry to be 50% full of xplorer2 tab settings? I don't think so!
I found this topic via search, initially assuming I was experiencing a bug.

I'm confused why you would mention the registry filling up. I keep about 10 tabs open typically. Xplorer2 has no problem remembering those 10 tabs when I close and restart. Why would additionally remembering the sort order for only those 10 tabs fill up my registry?

It appears to remember sort state for each tab when I save/open a layout. Can't there be an option for Xplorer2 to save the current layout when closing and then restore it?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nowadays you can have per-tab settings like you want. Use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and find and tick the option "Each folder tab can have different view settings". This works in later xplorer2 versions
fiveolddogs

Post by fiveolddogs »

Excellent. Thank you!