Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

About comments...

Post by sanferno »

Hi,

Is there any difference in using ";" "," or espaces " " for commenting files?
I mean, it's the same to do this?

"tag1; tag2; tag3" and also similars "tag1;tag2;tag3;"
"tag1, tag2,tag3" - "tag1,tag2,tag3" - "tag1,tag2,tag3,"
"tag1 tag2 tag3"

I have watched your tutorial Nikos about the topic and you used the first one. I've have tested with the other by my self and it seems to be the same.
Is just that I prefer to use the same methodology for all tagging capable software.

Thanks.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: About comments...

Post by Kilmatead »

Comments are merely text data (stored via alternate data streams [ADS]) attached to the objects - as such, whatever you place there is just text. Technically speaking, any type of gobbledegook will work[*], as the text is not interpreted in any way.

Thus, any methodology you use will be your own - delimiting punctuation is only for your own grammatical convenience. There are no "rules" or standards, except those enforced by the grammar-police (your secondary-school teacher) cruelly drilled into you as a helpless child. :D

(The only "rule" you need to remember is that ADS can be stripped when moving files to non-ADS supporting media, such as FAT32 drives, etc. x2 has a warning if this may occur. ADS is an aspect of NTFS only, and is not officially supported user-side (yet) in the upcoming "NTFS replacement" [ReFS] MS wishes to drill into you.)

That being said,
ReFS: Resilient File System (Wikipedia) wrote:ReFS was initially unsuitable for Microsoft SQL Server instance allocation due to the absence of alternate data streams. However, in Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2, ReFS reacquired alternate data streams and automatic correction of corruption when integrity streams are used on parity spaces.
Which is welcome news for us all, assuming they keep it that way.

* Yes, 'gobbledegook' is a technical term; a very technical term. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Ok, thanks.
By the way, you mean that the new file system ReFS would not be compatible with comments? So, all the work I do by tagging files will be lost?

If it is like that, it is clearly a step back in that sense.

PD: Your sense of humor is good, but for a none mother langue english speakers could be a headache. :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:By the way, you mean that the new file system ReFS would not be compatible with comments? So, all the work I do by tagging files will be lost?
As of a few months ago the answer to that would be "Yes, you're screwed." However, the above quote seems to suggest that MS have rethought the issue and added ADS back in. Whether or not it stays like that (in the same form as it is now in NTFS and available to the common-user) - well, that we will have to wait and see. :shrug:
sanferno wrote:Your sense of humor is good, but for a none mother langue english speakers could be a headache.
If every human language ever spoken since we crawled out of the primordial slime has not included the equivalent of 'gobbledegook', I'll eat my cap. :D (And there are those in the audience who would suggest my "English" is a headache even if they themselves claim English as their mother tongue. I tend to play with words. :wink:)
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Ok, I hope it rest with ADS...

Keep on with the word-playing, but "pro" level it's too much for mortals. :shifty:
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

As Robert Browning wrote: “Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?”

And so, too, Kilmatead's prose help extend my reach and improve my grasp. Not only by helping me with X2 related issues but also with life and literature. Yes, some of his references are beyond the grasp of lesser mortals, but that should not deter him from using them to enrich us all.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Enriched by 'gobbledegook'? :shock: You certainly qualify as a cheap date. :D As a rule I try to answer the question first, and "play" only once that's been taken care of. As sanferno used the word 'methodology' in his original post, I reckoned I was safe going off piste a little. Who would've thunk that the word 'methodology' is apparently part of the syllabus for non-English people?

People like Nikos and Tuxman freak me out personally, as they regularly and freely use idiomatic anglicised inflections in their posts - that's just not normal for "acquired" English. Not normal, I say! Puts mumblers such as myself to shame.
Enternal

Post by Enternal »

English is my primary language and Kilmatead's prose never gave me headaches. It gives me hope, liberty, and wisdom that many times I can never fully comprehend. Even though this forum is not my home but coming here and listening to an "old wise man"'s eloquent proses and references reminds me of my old childhood that will never come back. Oh the days... wait. I'm not that old yet (25ish). But I'm old enough to miss the days when writing cursive and speak eloquently was drilled into you by 2nd grade teachers. And Gameboy!
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

Ha!! Kilmatead, how does it feel being called old by that young whippersnapper? I am old, so to ME, you are young. Its all relative. But I agree with Enternal's comments about the "value added" by the non-technical aspects of your posts.