Extract subfolders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Extract subfolders

Post by Robert2 »

You need to be accurate if you want us to help.

In your first screen capture, your folder tree has 2 hierarchical levels (main folder level + subfolder level).
In your second screen capture, your folder tree has 3 hierarchical levels, and “folder1” can be either a main folder or a subfolder.

When you say “the main folders have common strings”, do you mean that these strings are common to all the main folders, and are absent from all the subfolders?

Also, have you got at least one “.sfv” file in each main folder, but no “.sfv” file in the subfolders?

You need to find something really distinctive about either the main folders or the subfolders.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Here's an entertaining way to do it, irrespective of foldernames or filenames: Browse to the root of your drive and hit <Ctrl+Alt+Q> (Mark -> All Folders), then use <Ctrl+Alt+C>. This will copy the list of highlighted (first-tier) folders into a comma-separated list. These are the ones you don't want, but we need them for this step anyway.

Hit <Ctrl+F> and focus the "Look In" box - make sure it's empty, then hit <Ctrl+V> to (obviously) paste the comma-separated list of folders into the box.

Before searching, make sure that Files is unchecked (so it only matches folders). Also make sure that Search Subfolders is unchecked. Yes, un-checked. Trust me.

When you hit <Ok> to search, the resulting scrap container will contain only the list of second-tier folders (which are the ones you do want). Highlight them all using <Ctrl+A> then press <F6>...

...and follow the yellow-brick-road.

Simple. :wink:

(I am the first to admit that this is a daft way to do it, but it will work, as long as none of your first-tier folders have "commas" in their names to begin with.)
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Kilmatead wrote:Here's an entertaining way to do it, i

Simple. :wink:

(I am the first to admit that this is a daft way to do it, but it will work, as long as none of your first-tier folders have "commas" in their names to begin with.)
You'rre an absolute genius !
It works flawlessly .
When i got time i'll try to figure out these steps , so i perhaps gain some knowledge.
Thanks all for helping out.