Option to hide files of certain ext ?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

matelot

Option to hide files of certain ext ?

Post by matelot »

Option to specify a list of extensions whose files are to be hidden.

Is there such global option (no, not filter) ?
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Option to hide files of certain ext ?

Post by nikos »

if you don't want to use a filter then the only option is to make such files hidden (attribute) and tell xplorer2 not to show hidden files. But I don't think this is something you'll like either :)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Just out of curiosity what type of files do you want to hide, and why?
Live life...
matelot

Post by matelot »

profess wrote:Just out of curiosity what type of files do you want to hide, and why?
python compiled file .pyc

When you run a python script say foo.py, Python compiles and creates foo.pyc.

Modern source control system like git gives you the option to specify file types to ignore like readme.txt, .pyc
4.4.0.1 x64 5/3/2020
Caveatrob

Post by Caveatrob »

I would also like this feature. The filters are great, but I'd prefer to hide files as an xplorer2 setting that happens outside of the filters.

For example, in Visual Studio I have pdb and various supplemental files that I don't care about. But I use filters to hone in on dlls and other files by name and other criteria.

If I could hide the first set of files, they wouldn't affect my view when I filtered further.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 has a default filter category {temp files} that cover all these visual studio junk stuff. All you need is to set a visual filter on -{temp files} (note leading minus) to get rid of them
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...(note leading minus) to get rid of them
Oohh, cool, combinatory anti-filters! Guess x2Filter's gonna need a new temp-toggle setting for its next iteration... (you just blew my weekend). :D You have a talent for mixing lack-of-user-friendliness with functionality. I'm having Grep flashbacks...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Hmm... experimenting... these things don't combine as much as I might have thought - if there's already another filter active, they cancel it first, then apply their "negative" effects.

Any means of having them apply only to displayed objects (leaving any previously applied [active] filter intact)?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can combine them in comma groups, e.g. {this},-{the other},*.cpp
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I really hate when you're right about things, 'cause it means I can't give out and rave-on madly about all your character faults and the failure of the world's body-politik to look after the less fortunate members of this decrepit modern society.

:baaa:

That said, it would nice if it each component could be applied progressively piecemeal rather than "all planned out at once" - as in, now I'm looking at a group of files, and then I decide I want to "weedle it down further" into smaller and smaller chunks by applying other filters before I finally get that piece of treasured-yet-discarded pizza out of the bin.

However, that being said as well, your method does work. Yet it does show a disrespect for the family-planning aspect where "no battle-plan survives encounter with the enemy" wherein your wife seemingly needs to pack the entire contents of the house ("just in case") when taking the baby for a mere walk in the park. :roll:

Yup, those Grep flashbacks are a curse. :D