file count column

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

raphael75

file count column

Post by raphael75 »

I selected the "File count" column and clicked around to a few different folders, but nothing ever shows in this column. How can I get it to work? I'm running xplorer2 as an Administrator and using Win Server 2012. Thanks!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: file count column

Post by Kilmatead »

File Count is a legacy column leftover from Windows Vista which had the associated explorer feature called "Stacking" - this was subsequently removed in Win7, so that column is now the equivalent of Scarlett's self-esteem after Rhett so eloquently dismissed her.

Use Contents [S] instead. Bear in mind that this will also enumerate the (immediate) subfolders contained as part of the total, so it should be considered as an "Object Count", not specific to "files", per se.
raphael75

Post by raphael75 »

Excellent! Thank you!

Bonus points for the Gone With The Wind reference. :)
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

No, he does not deserve bonus points for a "Gone With The Wind" reference - it is MUCH to mainstream. We only award Kilmatead bonus points when the reference is very obscure and requires research to figure it out. :P
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I liked the pop reference because of the alliterative tt's.... "if x-squared (x2) = t-squared (t2), etc". (Considering that originally it actually read: "that column is now soggy toast", I felt it needed humour instead. :shrug:)

Also, the mainstream balances out the abstruse regarding the knowledge of what the original column was from. Did you know what Stacking was? :wink:
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

No, I did not know what stacking was. In reading your posts I tend to ignore all the tech stuff (unless the issue being discussed applies to me - and this one doesn't) and concentrate on the literary stuff. While I acknowledge the use of the alliterative, are you suggesting that in all the world's literature, that was the ONLY option? I must believe that there is as good (or better) an example buried away in some obscure tome that word serve your purpose and also be worthy of bonus points. Of course if you don't care about the points, use whatever source you wish.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

drac wrote:In reading your posts I tend to ignore all the tech stuff [...] are you suggesting that in all the world's literature, that was the ONLY option?
Great, I'm lauded by the Margaret Mitchell hating Amish of the world. :roll: What's a guy to do? This is a tech-forum, after all. Sicut canis, qui revertitur ad vomitum suum, sic imprudens, qui iterat stultitiam suam.

I've been to her house, you know (well, she was dead by then). A whirlwind-stop tour of Atlanta - from her Tudor-chique stuffy house to the Centre for Disease Control. I had an enlightened childhood. :D I didn't like Atlanta. It was bleak. And hot. And I wanted to go to Disneyworld, and Margaret Mitchell was in my way. It still peeves me to this day.

If you want literary, chew on this until we get to Disneyworld - you'd be hardpressed to know when we get there, oddly enough, the two are so similar. :wink:

drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

OK, now we're talking. A little Latin bible verse and some 17th century literature. Kilmatead is BACK.

While your visit to Ms Mitchell's former residence seems to have left a scar on your psyche, that does not justify including her in the great authors of the human race. She, along with Billy Ray Cyrus could be classified as "one hit wonders". Sure it was a great book and movie, but "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day..." as Aristotle reportedly said one fine day.

Just remember when you post a reply to someone on this technical forum, if YOU should decide to include non-technical aspects to your input, that you have set your own high standards via past posts. "If you're going to do something, strive to do it better than anyone else. Do it all the way. If you're going to half-ass it, why bother?” (by Ashly Lorenzana - someone you may want to look up next time you are in the US).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

drac wrote:She, along with Billy Ray Cyrus could be classified as "one hit wonders".
Oh god no...

...say it ain't so.

What have you got against the progenitor of a weirdly tattooed contralto with a severely metallic voice? What Billy Ray doth wrought echoes in eternity. Just like the Lost Cause literary movement in American fiction glorified in (amongst others) Mitchell (Lost Cause may not mean what you think it means). The worst thing about having a liberal arts education is that (in later autodidactic life) one requires a discipline and reserve to stave off the Zeitgeist judgement that otherwise comes so easily to the great unwashed. When one stands outside of Time, there is no real difference that I should quote Seneca or Céline (Dion) - strip something of its glossy "reinterpretation status" granted from the public gaze, and the meaninglessness of age begins to creep into the bones disguised as post-modernism.

Given my drothers, I would pray that Vivaldi's Cum Dederit is never surpassed as the most magnificent sound ever organised by man (and, even pre-Beethoven, a forerunner of minimalist élan: say Glass via Boismortier, not Bartók) - but sullied in the castrato memories of his age, too much knowledge of it harms my claim to the traditionalist conceit I crave.

And that makes me forever sad. :cry: Sadder even than going off piste on a technical forum. Such, I imagine, is the price we pay to be the entertainment we conspire against.

Ah, Fred, has it come to this? :shock:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It's been like this for a while ... or so it has seemed to me.