alpha version 250.14

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: alpha version 250.14

Post by nikos »

ok I see it too, on x64 with the workbench tab only (WTF!?)
it will be fun debugging with VS6 on 64 bit windows... not! :(
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:kilmatead you must forget your chinese fetiches because this is the ribbon and it does things its own way and there's no argumentation
Not a fetish, this, just common sense: if the user moves or deletes the first item in the organise window, every single entry in the entire list will reverse sides in the popup display. I liked those menus initially, but now upon closer inspection they're essentially unreliable and useless for workflow, especially as it even contravenes the "List" pane display which is vertical before horizontal.

If you can't change it, that's fair enough, but it does not bode well. :shrug:
nikos wrote:it will be fun debugging with VS6 on 64 bit windows...
If you want minidumps and crashlogs they're a dime-a-dozen for this workbench tab issue...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The arrows seem inconsistent... from the main ribbon tab System, Views and Autofilter show menus but don't have the arrow like Favorites and Panes... Paste, Copy to, Find and Compare have spit arrows where the arrow provides a menu separate from the action of the button...

My point is, if the arrows on Favorites and Panes are just there to show that the button provides a menu, shouldn't System, Views and Autofilter have arrows as well?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote:My point is, if the arrows on Favorites and Panes are just there to show that the button provides a menu, shouldn't System, Views and Autofilter have arrows as well?
The difference is that the menus for those items (System, AutoFilter, etc) are generated as generic API popup menus (they're exactly the same as you get without the ribbon), they are not generated by the ribbon itself. The other ones (Favourites, etc) are generated by and within the ribbon itself, so it automatically provides an "arrow". I would imagine that nikos can't force a button to have an arrow if it has no self-generated dropdown associated with it unless he defined them as empty submenus - and "empty" submenu labels can't be clicked upon (they have no "event" associated with them), just like in traditional menus. :shrug:
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Tuxman wrote:It feels awful.
I agree - those who do like real ribbons will probably give the X2 banderole a Image.

The prospect of having to flip-flop between a ribbon and a menu is something I'd rather not think about. I'll almost certainly forego the use of the ribbon and stick to the menu's that I rarely use. I guess it's consistent with the disjoint collection of Options, Customisations, Settings Editors and undocumented registry hacks one has to use to configure X2.

nikos
  1. Why is the Home group alt/H1 and not alt/H, if you're going to use MS 'inspired' group names why not use the their shortcuts.
  2. What possessed you to put View and Preview (nee Quickview Ψ²) in the Workbench group and not in the View group?
  3. I got an assertions failed message when I exited kenny (32 & 64 bit). do you want the log?
  4. Will the so-called ribbon be implemented in X2-Lite?
RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

RightPaddock wrote:Why is the Home group alt/H1 and not alt/H, if you're going to use MS 'inspired' group names why not use the their shortcuts.
Yeah, big +1 on this. What's up with the keyboard shortcuts? F, H1, V and W. It's not like there's another H that can be typed, why make the user type a 1 as well? And what's with all the Y's? I think you should follow Microsoft's example and use letter combos, rather than letter/number combos for shortcuts. So FA for Favorites, FI for Find, CO for Copy, CU or CT for Cut, CM for Compare, and so on. Typing Alt+H+FI for FInd is a lot more natural than typing Alt+H1 and then having to remember - or look - that Y6 is the key combo for Find. Make it easy for your users to use.

Commands seem to be well laid out, as far as I can tell. I think it's a bit of a problem that all the beta testers are folks who aren't fans of the ribbon. We just can't tell whether it's good or not, and we're just going to turn it off anyway. You need some pro-ribbon folks in here telling you what's what.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the ribbon shortcut keys are generated automatically on the first letter. When there are two buttons starting with H you seem to get H1 and H2. At this point that's as far as it goes since I have to consider both menus and the ribbon and the toolbars... it's a bit of a mess on the inside (what you cannot see)

now RightPaddock sir, I have to introduce you to my wife because she thinks I am grumpy ;)
all the preview buttons exist in the VIEW tab (you just need to dig in and check the menus under buttons), and the edit button is definitely not for viewing. So to judge a knob as odd and therefore dismiss the whole enterprise, that's nonsense!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...my wife because she thinks I am grumpy
But... Mr. Scrooge... good sir, you are grumpy, sir! :xmas:

RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:now RightPaddock sir, I have to introduce you to my wife because she thinks I am grumpy ;)
all the preview buttons exist in the VIEW tab (you just need to dig in and check the menus under buttons), and the edit button is definitely not for viewing. So to judge a knob as odd and therefore dismiss the whole enterprise, that's nonsense!
Eh. This is what I see in the Workbench group, I cant find Preview, View or Edit in the Views group. If they're there please post a piccie

There is a Views button in the Views group which controls how items are displayed in the current file browser pane - Thumbnail, Icon, List, Details etc. Incidentally why is the Views button also in the Home group.

This may warrant an answer of - 'its been ever thus'.
  • When I use the View or Edit items in the Workbench->Preview subgroup, X2 always fires up Notepad, why doesn't it honour what I have configured for the file type Open and Edit verbs in Windows, (default to Open if Edit not configured), looking at an SQLite database in Notepad is not very useful.

Not that I'd ever View or Edit a file by clicking buttons in a ribbon, menu or button bar.
Do you want the error logs. And will X2-Lite get a ribbon.
longfellow wrote:You need some pro-ribbon folks in here telling you what's what.
I am one of the pro-ribbon clan, see ==>> http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=66431#p66431

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Oh so now I'm part of a clan am I?
Next person, to try this s**t is dead, you hear me!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Challenge accepted.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

RightPaddock the home ribbon has a quick summary of all the commands, then some are repeated where appropriate. The lite version will have ribbon too... and so does windows explorer if you want to get even more lo-fi :)
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

Can not export the settings from the ribbon.

Can not access advance options from the ribbon.
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

advanced options are under the "file" menu