nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

alpha version 250.14

Post by nikos »

almost there!
http://www.zabkat.com/test/kenny.7z
now it includes also a x64 build

even if you don't like ribbons can you please use it with a ribbon for a while and see how it feels and what is there to be improved?
thanks

ps to make the most of the ribbon see this video
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: alpha version 250.14

Post by Tuxman »

It feels awful.

(Seriously, do you expect a positive critic about your ribbons by people who don't like any ribbons?)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

one thing about the ribbon that I find annoying is that it is like a toolbar that I cannot customize... the home tab of the ribbon contains most of the commands in my main toolbar...

I would like to have icons to deal with the other custom items (folder groups, toolbars, etc) on the workbench tab of the ribbon... also the save settings now and export settings...
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2014 Dec 08, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

toolbars you can do right clicking on the addressbar, but you're right probably i should add the folder groups item in the VIEW tab
however for the most weird commands one needs the menu, period

whatever commands you need are missing you can put them in a custom toolbar and have it showing alongside the ribbon
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

also column sets and maybe custom groups... yeah the view tab of the ribbon does make more sense...

are the labels under each section of the ribbon really necessary? they are a waste of space so an option to disable them would be nice...

another nice feature would be a way to reorder the icons in the quick access toolbar

the Panes button on the ribbon (Home, Views) has a superfluous (or currently unused) drop-down arrow, the Layout button (Views, Sundries) and User Commands (Workbench, Run) as well
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Reproducible error on X64 (only version I tested) (started with "/A" option per earlier-version instructions). Start the program (for me it starts with ribbon expanded), click "Workbench" to select that tab, double-click "Workbench" to collapse the ribbon, and then click "Workbench": popup window "Debug Error! Program G:\Net Files\Kenny\Kenny64.exe DAMAGE: after Normal block (#2695) at 0x00...00233A430. (Press retry to debug the application.)". Win 7 X64.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

yeah, I get that also on x64 version
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

on 32 bit no such errors... I'll check on x64 later
FrizzleFry i'm not sure what you mean superfluous arrows, wherever you see an arrow it should do a menu
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I mean that the arrow shows the same menu as the button also if you hover on the button it does not show the arrow separate from the button

Favorites is another one
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Is there any reason the ribbon sub-items are "out of order" when in columns? Like listed Favourites or User Commands - logic (and, indeed, the old menu-style) suggests they would remain in order and arranged into consecutive columns, not enumerated by "rows".

In other words, shouldn't it be:

1 | 5
2 | 6
3 | 7
4 | 8

instead of:

1 | 2
3 | 4
5 | 6
7 | 8

Under the second method, there's no way for the user to keep anything organised as defined - for example, two consecutive bookmarks called Shite_1 and Shite_2 are separated into different columns even though they are defined sequentially in the organise-box.

Not tasteful. It's often handy to be able to safely assume that the latest defined item will always be at the end of the list - but in this layout, the end is simply "the bottom" - it could arbitrarily end up on the left or right side.

People like us with brains that border on the "anally obsessive" tend not to like things organised "arbitrarily". Just saying'. :wink:
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

The new Kenny looks pretty cool!
:D
I shall have to start using it. I had leaned away from x2 for a while because it was getting gummed-up on my work computer. Started using XYplorer more, but now I've tweaked XY so much that it's the gummed-up one and Kenny is all frosty and quick. Incidentally, Freeplane also has an alpha version with a ribbon, as with Freeplane, I kinda think that x2's ribbon is too bulky... Needs thinner button margins... That's just my opinion. Folks with touch screens will liker the bulkier buttons, I'm sure. And as Frizz says, being able to customize the buttons and groups would be nice.

I'll update my custom skin soon. Computer creative time is severally limited these days. Used to have evenings to play... Well, I still do, but now I'm playing with my two year old daughter. It's Legos and dinosaurs instead of computer graphics. :lol:

The default skin in Kenny is actually not bad! The [bulk rename] image looks more like a [rename folder] icon though. We'll take care of that! :wink:

PS: Kilman, are you bordering "anally obsessive" or "obsessively anal?"
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kunkel321 wrote:PS: Kilman, are you bordering "anally obsessive" or "obsessively anal?"
Don't be tryin' to confuse us simple country folk with your big-city Anastrophe. My mama told me to be aware of people like you.

(2 years old now? Feck - when Thoreau wrote in Walden about "killing time without injuring eternity" he apparently didn't have kids. :wink:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

FrizzleFry there are 2 kinds of buttons, those that just drop-down and those that split. The latter have double identity
kilmatead you must forget your chinese fetiches because this is the ribbon and it does things its own way and there's no argumentation
i can't even set the active tab on that thing programmatically !! :shrug:
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

FrizzleFry wrote:yeah, I get that also on x64 version
Same here :shock:
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

otlaolap wrote:Reproducible error on X64 (only version I tested) (started with "/A" option per earlier-version instructions).
FYI

I get the same error, my other options WORK :D
"C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\kenny\kenny64.exe" /A /M /1 /T c:\
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15