the time is nigh... v3 BETA

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: the time is nigh... v3 BETA

Post by Kilmatead »

lank wrote:It would be nice to not have the various versions share settings I think.
Any of the betas/ultimate versions can read/save their settings independently via INI files stored in their installation folders. Use Options -> General -> Save Programme State on Exit liberally. :shrug: Left to default, they will share the same registry keys, which the Pro version is slave to anyway.
lank

Post by lank »

Thanks for that. I forgot about saving to an ini and will make the change.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

fuxs wrote:Is it possible to change the order of buttons in the Quick Access Toolbar
it is but you won't like my answer: you just have to remove all the buttons with right click and then re-define them in the desired order
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:
fuxs wrote:Is it possible to change the order of buttons in the Quick Access Toolbar
it is but you won't like my answer: you just have to remove all the buttons with right click and then re-define them in the desired order
:shock:

Will that be changed in the released version?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the ribbon is very stubborn and fixed in its own ways. Sorry about that but microsoft thinks that LESS customization is best :o
Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Odd. I can't test the new beta with the ribbon. I tried inputting my key and it said that my key expired even though the upgrade page on the website said I'm eligible for an upgrade since I purchased back in August :shock: I think I'm not doing something right here...

On the other hand, I'm surprised that nikos fell for the Ribbon. Seems like he got infected with the Ribbonitis. :alien:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you bought in august you'll get a free replacement key but you must try again once v3 is out
however even without the key you should be able to test this beta in "trial mode" (?)
Enternal

Post by Enternal »

I actually can't since it said that my trial expired. Probably because I hate xplorer2 pro and ultimate installed on the computer in the past. Currently I'm just sticking to using ultimate without installing it. Oh well, I can wait again till version 3 officially comes out.

Oh after I typed above, I realized I can just delete my settings file and start fresh with a trial. It's only when I try using my configuration will it tells me the trial expired.
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

Kilmatead wrote: Any of the betas/ultimate versions can read/save their settings independently via INI files stored in their installation folders. Use Options -> General -> Save Programme State on Exit liberally. :shrug: Left to default, they will share the same registry keys, which the Pro version is slave to anyway.
@nikos
Wouldn't it be better if the ULT version, that is portable, would save by default its settings in the ini file in the installation folder?
Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yeah I think that would be a nice idea. Or just provide a zipped version of the ultimate version with a default configuration file. It's much better than repeating install and copy the files whenever you need to update it.
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

nikos wrote:
Indeed.
MS ribbon based applications offer a nice little config dialog for that... But thanks anyway.
fuxs
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the office ribbon and the ribbon available for 3rd parties are not the same. We can't get all the fancy stuff sadly
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

For the Office 2007 Ribbon QAT, there are files created in the user's AppData\Local... folders containing the XML definitions. Does the x2 ribbon generate a similar file? That file (e.g. Excel.qat) can be edited outside of the application to add/remove/rearrange the icons.

-------------------
PJ in (stormy) FL
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

It found my license but told me it's too old (I get that a lot these days :)
x2.jpg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hey, that suits me to a T, if all of yous got free upgrades then I did all this work for nothing :P

@pj the poor man's ribbon used by xplorer2 stores its settings in the registry. It is a binary format so probably you could somehow decipher it if you would care to hack it but there's no "official" way to do it