Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

the time is nigh... v3 BETA

Post by nikos »

www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup_ult_beta.exe

this is the 32 bit ultimate version that is going to be released. You'll notice a big change from the last build in that it will have none of that old key of yours... sorry about that but vanessas christmas toys budget went through the roof :xmas:

however I believe that most forum regulars are already enabled for free lifetime upgrades. Anyway please try the upgrade system to see how it works for you. It should work painlessly within xplorer2, if it can find your old X2.LIC license file. Try to outsmart the system if you can think of something cheeky!

note there are no v3 keys available yet, so everybody will have to be patient till next year. For the time being you just get the message of what's going to happen, please make sure it makes sense given your license

finally not to forget that there is a program beta behind all this, so if you have any leftover small requests please let me know

thanks for your feedback
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: the time is nigh... v3 BETA

Post by CrossX »

Any discount from 2.5.0.4 PRO ---> 3.0 ULT?

PS
Does the ribbon work also in Windows XP?

Code: Select all

------------------
XPLORER² CHANGELOG
http://zabkat.com
------------------

Here you will find a brief list of items added in each consecutive build.
For more information please refer to the updated full documentation.

NOTE: Items marked with [P] are only in the professional version and [U] for the ultimate version (whatever is [P] is also for [U])

[2.5.0.17] 20 Dec 14 ----------------

* [P] Everybody will need NEW unlock keys for v3.0, but many will get free replacements. To check if you are entitled for a free or discounted v3.0 key use HELP > REGISTER PROGRAM menu, or the equivalent command under LICENSE MANAGEMENT in ribbon's leftmost tab. If xplorer² cannot find your old license key (but you know where it is yourself) you can use this upgrade page http://zabkat.com/upgrade.htm .
For more information see http://zabkat.com/u_info.htm

* [P] right click on the column header of a detailed view mode folder pane and you get to access Customize > Column sets menu conveniently at location. Likewise right click on the tab-strip (not ON a tab, but at the empty area to the right) to access Customize > Folder groups menu. Everything in context where it should be.

* [P] Customize > User commands > Add current menu command also works if the selected item is a shortcut to an executable

* [P] View > Visual filter > Autofilter menu command includes a list of complex filters, if you have any saved from Find File and other similar dialogs

* Bookmarks menu includes an item "Explorer Favorites" which takes you to the folder that you see in the tree of your windows explorer

* editor² Search > Match tag menu command handles XML tag names with a dot (.) correctly e.g. <DropDownGallery.MenuLayout> will match its closing </DropDownGallery.MenuLayout> tag

* Large toolbar skin included in all distributions so that the ribbon looks nice. 5 new icons were added so your old skin files may need updating.

* View > Ribbon menu command can replace (toggle) the traditional menubar with a modern Ribbon user interface. Requires windows Vista or later. Think of it as a plain menu mode for the less initiated. To get the menu back turn off the ribbon from its "file" (leftmost, dark blue) tab. Showing the ribbon hides the main toolbar too but you can have other toolbars showing with bookmarks, custom commands etc. Make sure you watch the demo video about the ribbon in HELP > HOW DO I? menu command.

* The <F2> mass rename dialog has a new special token "File attribute" which can be any available file property as seen in detailed view mode. This way you can use ID3 tags and all the rest of it to rename files.

* [P] Redesigned mass rename function, supporting search and replace in filenames as well as the older "replace whole name" mode. There are two search-and-replace modes, the first will replace only ONE occurence of the matched substring, the second will replace ALL occurences. The new $-token $[xx:yy] represents part of the filename (start from xx character and yy letters long) and can be used to remove or replace a section of the original name. For more information please refer to the quickstart guide. Regular expression rename is left as a future exercise! Note for people that hate change: using "replace whole name" mode and not ticking "preserve extension" option, this command works like it always used to :)

* [U] Select a SINGLE folder in a (normal) pane and right click on it, you will find a menu command "Add to search index" (it is the LAST command in xplorer² submenu). You can thus easily add folders to windows search (for fast searching) without going through Indexing Options. All the subfolders will also be added; if you need more control about what to exclude then use Indexing Options instead.

* In explorer replacement mode xplorer² adds itself in the autoplay list for "generic content" so you can open your USB sticks with xplorer² through autoplay.

* Goto > Find Target menu command also works for normal items (ie. those that are not links or junctions), and will get the REAL path of the item if it happens to be redirected by various reparse points. For example, say that the folder junction c:\test\junction points to W:\dir. If you browse a file in c:\test\junction\SUBDIR\FILE then hitting <Ctrl+L> on it will jump to the real file located at W:\dir\SUBDIR\FILE.

* Volume mount points (kind of junctions to root drives created by MOUNTVOL command line tool) are correctly handled by CTRL+L command

* [U] Tools > Fast search menu command gets a new GUI giving you control of what properties to fast search for (previously through registry settings). Tick on Everything to search in all file attributes, or tick only those properties you are interested in (name/text contents/comments/tags). 

* Folder tree will make sure the selected item is visible when you browse using the keyboard. You can scroll the tree left/right using <Ctrl+arrow keys>.

* [P] Robust copy progress dialog gets a graph plotting the transfer speed over time. Transfer speed isn't affected by pausing and other messageboxes.

* Addressbar autofilter gets a [X] button that clears the filter quickly for those mouse oriented, and shows all the files

* in explorer replacement mode, WIN+E key (if enabled from Tools > Advanced options menu command) will properly bring xplorer² window to the front

* [P] plain text files can also be used to load/save scrap window contents (not just the binary CIDA format). Use the file type selector "Path text files" in the Load/Write contents menu commands. There should be one full path per line, as when importing text from the clipboard. You can also pass a TXT file as a command line parameter with /F:1 switch.

* View will not scroll away to show the focus in large changing folders (e.g. downloads) as long as you CLEAR the option "Automatically re-sort contents after moving/copying etc" found in Tools > Options menu, Window page. Another way to make the view lock where you are looking is to click on one of the items you see. To show the selected items after that press <ALT+down arrow> key.

* New stock column "Characters" available from <ALT+K> dialog, counting the number of characters in pathnames. This helps identify long filenames that could be an issue copying e.g to CDROMs. Above 260 characters problems begin in all cases so try using small file and folder names.

* various combo boxes (except those doing paths) get new autocompletion mode through a drop-down list instead of having to press the up-arrow key

* Actions > Shred menu command renames the file to gibberish before deleting it. Makes it even harder to identify!

* Better protection for unlocking files before cutting/moving items. Now the only way you can't delete files in xplorer² must come from an external fault (e.g. buggy codec)

* proper HTML thumbnails shown and also good offline HTML preview with the Native tab. For windows XP you just need a registry hack: http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1730

* [P] more responsive (threaded) native preview tab and faster when you preview the same file type in a row.

* Tools > Options menu, Window page has a new option to sort folders after files (at the end)

* symbolic links with relative targets are correctly handled (<Ctrl+L> find target command etc)

* registry property nInfotipDurationMS controls the time (in millisec, 5000=5 sec) infotips remain in view — if enabled from Tools > Options > Window. Increase this value if your infotips contain a lot of information and you want to see them for longer.

* When you click on [?] buttons to see dialog help, any previous IE help window is reused to show the quickstart guide

* All Organize dialogs (e.g. Bookmarks) have a right click context menu to manage the lists (on top of the toolbar buttons); and a new toolbar skin.

* [P] Drivebar shows label for each drive as a tooltip

* various small "features" fixed
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry the ribbon requires vista or later. As for discounts see here http://www.zabkat.com/u_info.htm there's a flowchart explaining all

as for upgrades from pro to ult crossing 2->3 version there's no automatic provision, you'd have to contact me with your license details
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
I'm going to wait until the Final build of v3 x64 is released before seeing where I stand license wise.

Just a quick glance through the change log above and I'm interested :)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:however I believe that most forum regulars are already enabled for free lifetime upgrades.
Poor Vanessa! :alien:

Guess I'll wait for x64 too. Not that using x86 and ignoring the warning will cause licensing issues.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you lot are a bunch of chicken! there's no difference between 32/64 bit licenses
anyway, forget about the license, you can check the beta, i mean the program
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Sigh. Well, okay. Let's start with: Why are so many things greyed out?

Oh, and my key has expired. :|
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's normal because your windows are 64 bit and you can't replace explorer with 32 bit xplorer2
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Woohoo! The mass rename dialog can be resized both horizontally and vertically now :D

Doh! No drop-down for what to match :(

I like that you added the Column sets menu to the context menu of the column header... I wonder if Column sets should also be added to the Columns drop-down on the ribbon...
lank

Post by lank »

Version is still shown as 2?
version.png
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when it goes out of beta it will say 3.0

ps. here's the 64 bit beta too (am i the only one running 32 bit windows?)
http://www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_set ... t_beta.exe
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Hooray! 64 Bit! :beer:

Yes, you probably are. Why are you at all?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

[x] on filter in the toolbar, nice!
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
lank

Post by lank »

I now have the 32 bit v3 beta, 64bit xplorer2 pro, and 64bit ultimate on my computer. I assume now that settings are shared with all versions.

I turned on the ribbon in the beta and the later went to x2 and the toolbar was turned off. I turned it back on, did my work and then exited and went to beta and now I have both ribbon and toolbar where before I just had the ribbon.

It would be nice to not have the various versions share settings I think. IMHO.
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

Is it possible to change the order of buttons in the Quick Access Toolbar and also to have seperators? Mine looks a bit crowded now...
:roll:
fuxs