Larger desktop icon?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

stunley

Larger desktop icon?

Post by stunley »

All my software that have desktop icons (on 2560 x 1440 monitor) have larger icons but Xplorer2 on has a tiny icon in the middle of blank space - it looks so outdated. And bigger toolbar icons too; I have the largest icon sets I could find on the site installed but they too are small. Any chance of supporting higher res displays?
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Larger desktop icon?

Post by kunkel321 »

How's this...
stunley

Post by stunley »

How's that? Er, ugly as sin? Is that official?
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Not anymore... This was the official icon for version one. Before the orange one.

stunley

Post by stunley »

Better, but it looks more representive of a SIM card than a file explorer.

If you've settled on that branding for your software company, I would at least suggest you maybe use more a more varied palette. And, personally, I don't like the gradients: theyr'e too close in the spectrum for my taste and as they're in the same vertical direction It reminds me of something sinking and fading away. And a SIM card of course.

I hope you understand this is only meant to be constructive crticism. Btw, Is it xplorer3 now?
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Well you said, "xploer2 icon."
You're not the first person to dislike the icon. Do a forums search for "big ugly orange icon" :wink:

Personally, I think it looks too much like the Outlook icon... I like to use Kilmatead's Resource Updater tool to change it back to the old gold one (which I prefer).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

stunley wrote:I hope you understand this is only meant to be constructive crticism. Btw, Is it xplorer3 now?
Yes, it is V3 these days. And it's well known that Nikos has no aesthetic sense, but he makes up for it by having a constructively thick skin, so it's every man for himself. :wink:

I made a really ugly one for Paddy's Day once...

Replacing the resources will do nothing for size on the desktop though - this is why (older) people generally just raise their DPI to de-compensate for highres displays...

For toolbar icons, even with larger skins you still need to right-click the toolbar and uncheck the Small Icons setting. Again, not a massive difference (without DPI changes) but usable.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Actaully I lied. This
is the icon that I use. (Though ironically, ResUpdater won't update the actual icon on your desktop).

It's moot anyway because v3 seems to have broken ResUpdater. I'll post a reply in the appropriate thread
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8379
EDIT: My bad.... I forgot to re-direct the folder path to -xplorer2_ult- rather than keeping it at -xplorer2_ult_beta.- It's working fine.

Extra note: It's not "xplorer3" ("xplorer cubed") but rather xplorer2 ("xplorer squared") version 3. At least that's how I read it from the help dialog.

EDIT 2: I'll try to attach that icon (.ico) zipped up.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kunkel321 wrote:Though ironically, ResUpdater won't update the actual icon on your desktop...
We're going to have to have a little chat one of these days about exactly what "ironically" really means. :roll: That said, it won't update the desktop icon because such a link points to the EXE and I can only modify the DLL without awakening the wrath of the Wicked Witch of the East. :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you right click on a shortcut icon, there is an option to change the icon in the property page. Perhaps that will work for the taskbar too
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

what I find works to change a taskbar icon is to create a desktop shortcut, change its icon then drag it to the taskbar and pin it...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For taskbar icons one must hold <Shift> while right-clicking (without the programme in question running), which is almost as intuitive as the pronunciation of 'aluminium' in Great Briton (5 syllables instead of the American 4). One often wonders what MS were thinking...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

that's good to know... hopefully I'll remember that the next time I want to change a taskbar icon...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I always liked this one, using it since 2010-2011
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

That's a nice one!
Is that the highest-rez you have? We can make a multi-size ICO file from it, if you want.