Xplorer Pro unresponsive

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

alanstancliff

Xplorer Pro unresponsive

Post by alanstancliff »

I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer and Xplorer 2.4 Pro.

Recently, Xplorer often becomes unresponsive when I am trying to change a directory or browse the tree. It will remain unresponsive for as long as 30 seconds or perhaps more. This is quite annoying. Can you please make any recommendations?

Regards,
Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Xplorer Pro unresponsive

Post by nikos »

try the latest version 2.5 (or even better 3 if you can afford the upgrade, see here for more information), and if it does it too, see if you can see any pattern to it, e.g. is it only for network folders?
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

nikos wrote:try the latest version 2.5 (or even better 3 if you can afford the upgrade, see here for more information), and if it does it too, see if you can see any pattern to it, e.g. is it only for network folders?
Hi Nikos,

I got the latest version, (3.0.0.0 ULT [Unicode] x64 12/31/2014), and the problem continues. In fact, it is getting even worse. It becomes unresponsive for 10 to 30 seconds quite frequently.

I haven't used Windoze Explorer for many years, and I like the many features X2 has that WE doesn't. I don't want to have to get used to WE and would like X2 to work as well as it did a few years ago for me.

Do you have any suggestions? My computer seems to work well enough, and other programs aren't noticeably exhibiting this behavior.

Regards,
Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 is almost as complex as a human being. I can't possibly guess what is wrong with yours. If you post a pic of your xplorer2 window I may get an idea. Perhaps your folders are big, perhaps you are using advanced grouping, or color coding, perhaps you are sorting on slow columns.... it could be many things

you can try a complete reinstall wiping your old settings, and see if it helps but that will sadly destroy all your favorites and all the other customizations
atitlan

Post by atitlan »

Might be worth a try — on the assumption xplorer2 has not become corrupted: good old Chkdsk + defragmentation if not running an SSD. Could also be worthwhile to get a SMART reading on the drive if a spinner or use the drive utility supplied by the SSD manufacturer.

Good luck!
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

I have no idea how useful this will be, but here is a screenshot of my xplorer, as requested

Regards,
Alan
xplorer-screen-shot.png
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well I meant a picutre of the program before it becomes unresponsive!
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

nikos wrote:well I meant a picutre of the program before it becomes unresponsive!
Nikos,

That was a picture taken before it became unresponsive.

Regards,
Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the window looks empty to me, that's not what I would call normal operation :)
anyway try the other solution I said, first make a backup of your settings (ACTIONS >EXPORT SETTINGS menu), then fully uninstall xplorer2 and reinstall it with all the default settings, and see if it still has the problem
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

nikos wrote:the window looks empty to me, that's not what I would call normal operation :)
anyway try the other solution I said, first make a backup of your settings (ACTIONS >EXPORT SETTINGS menu), then fully uninstall xplorer2 and reinstall it with all the default settings, and see if it still has the problem
Hi Nikos,

The window in the picture, as it is on my computer, is definitely not empty. So I attempted to look at the picture I uploaded online. There was an error message that said "The image "http://forum.zabkat.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=185" cannot be displayed because it contains errors."

I attempted to upload it again, and once again it was corrupted. I converted the PNG to a JPG and uploaded again. I think it is probably okay now, but let me know if you have a problem.

Apparently, your forum software mangles PNG files. You might want to put that into a FAQ or something.

Regards,
Alan
xplorer_screen_shot.jpg
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Would be extremely helpful if you could tell in detail what you are doing exactly, or even better, if you have the possibility of recording your screen, try to reproduce and capture how the program becomes unresponsive.
Other things you could do would be trying to narrow down the cause of the hang. Try x2 on a different PC if you have one available, or within a virtual computer. If it doesn't hang there, try doing/adding stuff that are similar to what makes x2 unresponsive on your system
A file manager of x2's magnitude is not easy to remotely debug, so the only way of getting close to the cause of the issue is to provide as much detailed info as possible in regard to the circumstances in which the hang occurs.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If nothing else jumps out, I'd be eyeing what happens when a Dropbox locale is associated as a library (as the OP has in the screenshot above)... x2 and libraries are a strange mix in the first place, but add a networking shell extension into the mix and it just screams out for attention... :shrug:
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

Hi INeedHelp,
The problem is random. It happens sometimes when I click on it to try to change directories. The latest version is marginally better than the previous one. In order to screen record the error when it happens, I'd need to have something like Snagit on the ready while working and then when it happens, record it. I might do that if I become irritated enough at this behavior, but I don't know how much that will help.
Hi Kilmatead,
I was delighted when I noticed xplorer2 literature claiming it was compatible with DropBox. The library feature of Windoze creates a virtual directory, not a real directory.

Regards,
Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so your problems are when browsing in libraries and special folders like dropbox only?
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

Nope. It occurs if I try to select a file or folder, regardless of location.

Regards,
Alan