v3 reliability

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

v3 reliability

Post by nikos »

i find it strange that there have been no reports of crashes for v3 -- that programmer must be good :)

anyway I had one guy having problems with the new HTML thumbnails. If you have lots of html files can you try v3 on them while the pane is set to Thumbnail mode and see if you have any funny results or/and crashes?

thanks
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: v3 reliability

Post by Tuxman »

My HTML files reside online. - Does the HTML thumbnail part of x2 share code with other thumbnails so it should happen with other file types too?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, if there's a bug it is only with html thumbnails. But you can try your offline html files and see how it goes
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi Nikos,
I also have problems with the Thumbnails View.
I normally view “*.htm” files in List View. No problem. No problem with “Details”, “Large icons” or “Small icons” either.
But if I try to view the files in “Thumbnails” or “Mini thumbs” mode, I don’t get the corresponding display: Xplorer² simply hangs, still displaying whichever mode was operative before I tried to switch to “Thumbnails” or “Mini thumbs” mode.
3.0.0.0 ULT [Unicode] x64 31/12/2014
Windows 8.1 with all updates.
HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you identify a single html file that does it? or all of them do? What's your IE version?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

It’s not linked to any specific file. I only need to open a folder with plenty (e.g. 185) of .htm files. With no specific file selection, All “Views” are functional, except both “Thumbnails” and “Mini thumbs”. And when I try to switch the “Thumbnails” or “Mini thumbs” mode on, whichever Views mode was operative before that becomes frozen and cannot be changed except by shutting down then reopening xplorer².
File Explorer Version is the one that ships with Windows (6.3.9600.17415).
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Fwiw, no html viewing problems here with xplorer2 3.0.0.0 under Win 7. I made a test folder with just under 200 .html files in it, thumbs and mini-thumbs views worked as expected.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Whenever I try to switch the “Thumbnails” or “Mini thumbs” mode on, and xplorer² hangs, it uses 45 to 50% of CPU. CPU usage is down to 0% when I view the same folder in List View mode.
This is only happening when the files are of the HTML type.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Robert2 wrote:Whenever I try to switch the “Thumbnails” or “Mini thumbs” mode on, and xplorer² hangs, it uses 45 to 50% of CPU. CPU usage is down to 0% when I view the same folder in List View mode.
This is only happening when the files are of the HTML type.
Have you checked the "usual suspects", the shell extensions?

----------------------------
PJ in FL
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Which shell extensions?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Hi Robert I am sure there is a problem somewhere albeit not for everybody (I can't see it). It could be x64 only. What I know is that sometimes IE takes ages to generate a thumbnail, and I don't know why (even for simple pages). Try to put 1-2 html files separately in a folder then keep on adding files till you can find the smallest set of files that makes x2 hang. It could be even 1-2 files! THen if the content isn't personal please send me the files so I can experiment, thanks!

ps. do you have background threading disabled by any chance? See TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I have sent a message to support@zabkat
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I started a robust copy job to my NAS, the transfer rate was pathetic, I aborted the session. I deleted the destination folder and restarted the copy and the transfer rate was normal.

I think that the transfer speed graph is pointless as it doesn't maintain a history of the transfer speed. Current speed relative to what ?.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the plot control was also fixed a little so it always shows point 0.0
if you want to see the speed scale make sure you make the copy dialog wider
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Robert2 wrote:I have sent a message to support@zabkat
thanks; as it turned out it was one of your settings that short circuited the extraction. You have disabled background thumbnail extraction from TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS. Is that something you had to do for some reason or it was accidentally turned on?