set search filter for partial match

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fenpeppertree

set search filter for partial match

Post by fenpeppertree »

:?: I would like to know how to set search parameters for partial matches. Below is an example of a file search I placed, which returned zero results, and then was actually located using the charm bar search because it can find partial matches.

Searched for: Sojourn - Time Rovers Book 1
Actual Title on File: Sojourn - Time Rovers: Book 1

I'm sure there must be a way to filter searches for a broader range of results, but I can't readily find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: set search filter for partial match

Post by nikos »

you can turn on fuzzy name matching if you are not sure of the name. Next to the NAMED field in the find dialog you'll find a numeric box, make that below 100 to turn on fuzzy matching. The smaller number the bigger the fuzziness
fenpeppertree

Post by fenpeppertree »

Could this be broken down to exact instructions.
I tried setting the fuzzy to 75, but got a message "Items exist; turn off visual filter to see them". I didn't know what this means.

I tried other folders that should also bring up results, but then get nothing because it seems the fuzzy setting is only for the current search?

What about case sensitive? Is the search case sensitive? Can it be turned off?

Does it matter what is entered in the "named" text box? The choices seem to be selective. I would like all file types to be included.

I don't know, I want the search to be set for partial or fuzzy search for every search I make, and not be bothered with setting fuzzy settings for every search.
In other words, just want to "set it and forget it".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you set this number to a value, e.g. 75, then it will be remembered next time you search. Just play with it a little to get a feeling how it works