"Unspecified" in files pane, is a pain [RESOLVED]

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

bawldiggle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

"Unspecified" in files pane, is a pain [RESOLVED]

Post by bawldiggle »

How do I get rid of "Unspecified" and list the files vertically ?
unspecified + horizontal.PNG
I was experimenting with MenuBar > Customize > Folder Groups -AND- MenuBar > Customize > Customize Groups
... and looks like my poking around has created a problem I cannot undo

I still don't understand what "Customize" groups, actually does ... yet :shock:

But "Folder Groups" I do use extensively ... brilliant concept. :party:

1. how have I ended up with horizontal listing of files
2. what does "Unspecified" represent.
3. how do I undo these two "features" [1.] and [2.]
Last edited by bawldiggle on 2015 Mar 25, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: "Unspecified" in files pane, is a pain

Post by Kilmatead »

bawldiggle wrote:How do I get rid of "Unspecified" and list the files vertically ?
The Unspecified group is for filetypes that x2 can't categorise (or "group") because you haven't defined a group-name for them yet (Customise -> Custom Groups -> Organise). Since groups are not the same as filters, these unclassified types have to appear somewhere.

To disable custom groups completely just un-tick View -> Arrange by -> Show in Groups

If by "vertical" you mean Details-view (instead of Small-Icons-view which you appear to be using), switch to that in View -> Pane Style as well.
bawldiggle wrote:I still don't understand what "Customize" groups, actually does ... yet
You didn't like the explanation in the manual the last time you asked this question? Custom Groups and Folder Groups are two completely different things, with unfortunately similar names and menu positions.

Personally, I prefer to just rely upon Colour-Coding rules to differentiate between filetypes myself - it's simpler, quicker, and everything stays in a predictable sort-order. But that's just me - perhaps others swear by grouping instead of swearing at it and can elucidate upon the manual's description better than I.
bawldiggle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: "Unspecified" in files pane, is a pain

Post by bawldiggle »

@ Kilmatead :)

Thank you for the fixes. :beer:

There is so much to learn about X2 ... it is not simple
- I am still nibbling around the edges when I have time
Kilmatead wrote: You didn't like the explanation in the manual the last time you asked this question?
Where did I say "I didn't like" ? Chapter and verse ?
- there are some very slick features in X2 it will take me several years to get better acquainted with them
:mrgreen: