Junctions again

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

victor50

Junctions again

Post by victor50 »

I take the risk of stirring the wrath of the gods but: I would very much like junctions to not resolve to the target for networkdrives. At least as an (advanced) option. Or am I missing something?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Junctions again

Post by nikos »

is that a trick question? just don't press ctrl+L on them!?
victor50

Post by victor50 »

Sorry, but no. Example: D:\_VG is a junction to H:\VG When I click in the tree on D:\_VG the path H:\VG is shown. Same if I use <enter> in the panel. If I use backspace in the panel I end in H:\. However if I type D:\_VG in the address bar I actually get to D:\_VG and with the backspace I end on D:\
The "Treat junctions normal" option is on. Turning it off makes no difference.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

try using the Back button or Alt-Left instead of backspace
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

victor50 wrote:Example: D:\_VG is a junction to H:\VG When I click in the tree on D:\_VG the path H:\VG is shown.
This is odd - it seems Junctions to mapped network locations don't track the "correct" pathing as regular junctions do (the addressbar inherits the literal target location instead of fabricating a synthetic path as normal junctions would). I was able to recreate this on a Win10 VM - exactly how trustworthy that is I can't say, but it definitely mirrors victor50's observation.

Unfortunately I was unable to get either Win10 Windows Explorer or any other file-manager to even recognise the junction's tag-data when clicking on it, so I was unable to test this objectively.

Weird. Seems to be a bug though - I can recreate it, but I can't "prove" it. As Nikos does not have a network-proper to play with, I can't see this being "fixed" anytime soon. :shrug:

If you are able to create a Symlink instead of a Junction, try that instead - it will require admin elevation. Just an idea - judging by the literal data in the reparse-buffer (it's the mapped address, not the network share itself), I can't see it making any real difference - but you never know. One of the differences between Symlinks and Junctions is how they are interpreted and perceived by NTFS when using network connections.

As a workaround, FrizzleFry's suggestions of <Alt+Left>, etc are the best immediate solutions.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so what does your windows explorer do on this particular junction?