What am I doing wrong in custom commands?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What am I doing wrong in custom commands?

Post by Kilmatead »

Robert2 wrote:...the kind of book I had always wanted to read and never dared to ask…
And never ever trade the romance of that for the reality of a trot to Ringsend these days - the breadth of it isn't near as fine as the fancies past. :cry:

Faulkner - now there's a memory. Many years ago in Black Mountain North Carolina we were sitting around the studio of an artist who would paint nothing but huge canvases of tornadoes. Dramatic dizzying things of blood never less than 15-foot by height. Over the length of a couple of bottles of the South's worst brine we slung Faulkner quotes back and forth at each other in anticipation of a drunken Sturm and Drang, shouting the name of that American Proust at the vastness of the Milky Way above.

Not a lie, that. I'm a city boy (well, a boy of many cities), and had never seen the Milky Way before. It's one of the few things (like the doom of love at first sight) that actually causes physical pain just upon peering into the sheen. We walked outside to piss the lake full across the railings of the cabin, and looked... up. I wet myself. :oops: Books are like that too - for me it was the desperation of Camus' La Chute balanced with the fear of D. Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun - and lord did the consciousness stream then.

A rare evening. And one I'd rather forget if it wasn't so damn piquant - for a city boy. God, I hate North Carolina. Never been back since. :D
namsupo

Post by namsupo »

I remember my first milky way too... sigh...

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Didn't you say you were working on a PhD thesis or something? Shouldn't you be off contributing to the knowledge-base of humanity instead of derailing my poetic vibe? I mean, really, this thread is supposed to be about user-commands! How will we ever get this mess cleaned up before mum comes home and sees it? I don't think she believed me when I tried to blame it on the dog last time. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Me? I'm about to defend it before this summer :D Really hard work after for five years, but I hope is worth it :roll:
If you're interested in Geography or cartography, you could take a look to my webpage: http://gistools.es/en/index.php
(If you see some grammatical error, please tell me :oops: )

Actually user commands are for being able to interoperate with geographic information, data bases, and stuff like that...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ah, so you're the Spaniard who went up a hill but came down a mountain - I shall have to force you to watch the film Fitzcarraldo by the mad German Werner Herzog, show you how real idealists deal with mountains in their way! :D

Anyway - grammatically speaking - at the end of the third paragraph on the Home page where it says:
The good quality of all of them can be seen in many of my papers and books, been its careful layout a personal seal of my work.
I'd probably change to read:
The quality of which may be seen amongst my many papers and books, their careful layout being something I view as a personal seal of my work.
Or something to that degree - your original sentence doesn't really work, so I just changed the flavour to match the rest. Remember though, that Pride is a sin, so it might come back to haunt you. That's a dangerous cliff to jump off of. :twisted: :D

Also, at the bottom where it says "use the e-mail address bellow", I find I rather like that one as it is, but you probably should either correct it the boring way and say "below" or just suggest that the reader actually bellow really really loud and you might just hear him, since email is so last-century. :D

I'll have a glance at the other pages this evening - there's only so much of my lunch-hour I'll sacrifice for you over-educated continental-types. :wink:

(And earlier in this thread where you said some things "could be sometimes difficult to understand for non-native english speakers"... that now sounds a little weird from the same guy who uses words like "interoperate"! As they used to say to us along the Mexican border before guns became the answer to the smallest insult, "You loco, dude.")
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:I'll have a glance at the other pages this evening
Thank you very much, most important are the four main ones. I'll pay you a bottle of cider the next time you come to Spain. Actually I live in "Asturias", a northern region with celtic culture... (not very typical spanish). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asturias
that Pride is a sin
I know, I'll take a look. After finishing my PhD, happiness could have taken my ego a little bit over the limit 8) , but I think it won't hurt anybody :oops:
Didn't quite understand your thought on "email", but I've a few changes that hope will improve the sentence. :wink:

Once again, thanks!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:Didn't quite understand your thought on "email"
To "bellow" in English means to beat your chest with your fists and yell really loud to scare the enemy (or your wife). Imagine getting this sort of thing every time someone sends you an email. :D (You'd begin to appreciate how Nikos feels when doing customer-care sessions!)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Maybe he wants email correspondents to BELLOW in digital form :roll:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

But we also have some kind of "bellows" in Asturias...
lol-bellow.jpg
At least, that tricky "L" made us laugh :lol:
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

Kilmatead,

I defend my use of the word, "profound", thusly. To paraphrase Clarke's third law (Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic): any sufficiently obscure (to me) literary reference is indistinguishable from profundity. Or, could it be that the writer is using big words or obscure references to give the impression of profundity?

To be sure, I am NOT missing the fun in the pontifications. I enjoy being taken to the death of Julian or the wisdom of Faulkner. But if my looking for knowledge, wisdom or profundity in those writings is missing the point, then I admit to missing that point. But I do take it all assuming your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek.

I am an engineer (not the toot, toot kind) and my education is straight edged with only a slight amount of rounding. Recognizing my lack of literary (and other) knowledge I may be accurately accused of being too aggressive in my enthusiasm when pursuing those areas of human knowledge that are not already resident in my brain. So, yes, I may indeed assign a higher value to your prose than you think appropriate. But in there amongst the fun stuff there IS knowledge and profundity - at least from where I currently stand and look at our universe. Possibly from your vantage point your words and the thoughts they convey have a very different importance.