Asistance with file sorting please.

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Asistance with file sorting please.

Post by dunno »

The metadata annotations above are so very apt...
Indeed, a movie about a event which Israeli archaeologists have proved beyond doubt never happened, ah yes the wonders of myth.

My favourite source for celluloid as well.

back on topic: *returns to hammock with bubbly*
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Archaeologists aren't very good at digging up metaphors, so their ability to prove such things is worth barely a grain of sand. Let them stick to figuring out how the Nazis got on the Moon instead. :wink:

Besides, it was better than what Aronofsky did with "Noah". Yeesh. :shrug: I did like what Ridley did with Kingdom of Heaven though, but that's just me. I have a thing about knocking down really big walls.

(More or less on purpose. Image)

Also, all films with real life-size working trébuchet are automatically good by definition. That's a fact sustained by any 9-year-old lad raised on plastic imitations.

I don't really use metadata myself - my music collection is more or less kept intact with MediaMonkey and I just let it autotag everything from the Web (really really convenient, that).

Films are generally watched then deleted - When Gods and Kings itself takes up 2GB, it doesn't need to be there any longer than it took Moses to part the... oh... wait... sorry... :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It only took me a week to take a nice simple innocent idea and turn it into the grotesquerie t'was ever meant to be. :D

x2Filter Sort by RegExp Beta 2

Thankfully snooker starts back up on the telly for the next fortnight, so I can hibernate in peace without this keeping me awake at night. If anyone finds any weird problems, just bellow most vociferously...

• · Added: Separate Ascending/Decending settings for Groups (of regexp matching items) and the Sub-Items arranged (by name or extension) within those groups
    · Added: CLI option /Sort[=<RegExp>] to apply the filter with a dedicated expression (no dialog if <RegExp> is supplied)
    · Added: In-pane Progressbar will appear when necessary
    · Added: Dropdown for MRU history of last entered expressions, including embedded commands to clear the MRU or view online RegExp help
    · Added: Presets for how the regexp string is interpreted: 1) Always case-insensitive (NTFS filenames have no case), 2) Allow freespace and comments ('#') in any entry, 3) Ignore file extensions
    · Added: Natural-number sorting (default is the user setting within x2)
    · Added: More detailed information in the status-bar report: items sorted, groups, unmatched, total transpositions, and time record
    · Added: Option to prefix matching RegExp text to initial items in groups, and/or indent sub-items to make their association more obvious (a poor-man's "Grouping")
    · Added: Bidirectional transposition for improved efficiency under some sort-orders

· Fixed: Error-trapping, pane-integrity safeguards, escape-mechanism to interrupt long operations, etc
    · Fixed: If only a single item matched, it was not transposed to the top as expected
    · Fixed: Subsorting of groups could scramble expected results under some conditions
    · Fixed: If the listview-pane was pre-set to arrange items in groups sorting was still attempted (now it terminates immediately and shows an error, and/or menu item is disabled)
    · Fixed: Sorting offset could become unbalanced where first or last groups contained only a single item
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Lol, your need to get a night job as well.

It works like a charm, I really like the progress bar, *sigh*, the grouping, the attention to detail, soothes my OCD.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Now if you're really bored, could you please make a plug in to place a drive bar above each of the panes in dual pane usage, this will supersede the single drive bar which was designed for single pane and tree users. It just seems logical to have the drive bars above the panes, or am I wrong in that assumption ?.

Nikos, are you there ?. hello, hello, Yassas, γραπτή

P.S. thanks for the snooker headsup.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

syntax to get it to sort file names with full stops, i.e Mr. is ignored by the sort filter.

See picture for unfiltered names.

Many thanks for your interest and time..
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Do you have "Ignore Extensions" ticked or unticked? It's one of the three options at the top of the window. (It seems to work for me whether it's ticked or not, which is a little confusing, but "in theory" it should be unticked).

Try changing the "." to something else just as a test and see if it sorts that way or not... :?
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Thanks for your prompt reply.

With extensions ticked it doesn't sort the full stops.

Unticked it sorts perfectly.

Many thanks.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

There's a little bit of weirdness with the dialogue box,

I click on Filter menu icon to initiate filter of my movie selection by date,
The drop down context menu appears, I click on "Sort by RegExp",
The main dialogue menu flashes and disappears, (vanished).
I click on the filter icon again, the filter dialogue box appears, and the entire box is angrily flashing/blinking,
I click on Ok and it then proceeds to sort normally.

Is there any way to prevent the hide and seek of the dialogue box ?.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You probably didn't wait long enough after the window closed the first time, and you inadvertently issued another re-sorting, causing all sorts of mayhem (this is a guess). Remember that this thing is just a script, so it'll be slower than your average blast-ended skrewt - even in just the "enumeration" stage which happens before any of the dirty water really kicks in. The "behind the scenes" stuff of how it works requires a certain amount of faith that the x2 window is behaving itself... there's no way to guarantee that sort of thing. Boys will be boys. :wink:

So, not being able to replicate this, the answer would have to be a cheerful and unmalicious "No!". :D Try... um... patience?

Nikos was supposed to be writing his own version of this thing... but he seems to be on a "long paths" kick of late.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I did wait long enough, got slammed long enough :-)
it isn't a big deal now that I know it's double hide and seek weirdness.
just thought I'd mention this as it's recently cropped up.

*returns to hammock*
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Actually, after a little more messing around, I'm noticing something odd about the window losing focus for some reason... I'll have a closer look at it later tonight. Nikos' fiddling may have disturbed the neighbours again. (In fact, it has... x2 v3302 seems to cause this problem, but v3301 does not. Weird. I'll see what I can do.)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ok, please try this version - it should fix the window thing; I don't know why x2 v 3302 turned into such a jealous mistress when it comes to window activation, but she has. As I haven't touched the code in quite some time, I can't guarantee that I didn't accidentally leave something in an "unfinished" state - but without a thorough review, it's hard to remember. I do use it regularly though, so there should be no "ridiculously obvious" bugs, at least. :D
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

installed v516, but, it only sorts what's visible in the pane, if I scroll down it's unsorted beyond what's visible in the pane.

this is the syntax i'm using,
\(\d{4}\) # Parenthetical years, e.g., 'Casablanca (1942)'

Thanks.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Is the Name column you're using in the x2 pane the stock "Filename [S]" column, or (more likely) some alternate name column born of a TC Plugin? That's exactly the behaviour I would only see from a non standard column.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

name column is stock, no TC stuff anywhere. none.

I do have a custom folder search thingy which was created by you called locale search v0404.

Thats it, no other aliens in x2.
Last edited by dunno on 2016 Dec 15, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.