new era: xplorer2 compressed archive enabled!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: new era: xplorer2 compressed archive enabled!

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:Even if it's already pseudo-associated as the default to explorer, re-associate Firefox's Tools -> Options -> Applications (Tab) -> 7z with the actual "C:\Windows\explorer.exe" binary iteself (openwith: "other", browse to C:\Windows, etc). It will still appear in the dropdown as "open with windows explorer" but it will work properly after that extra manual association "nudge". Strange, but it works. :shrug:
Ah, good old Firefox quirkyness. I might file a petition.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Just for the record, .VHD files are not happy campers:

Code: Select all

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\Xplorer2\xplorer2_64.exe
File: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h
Line: 393

Expression: (iChar >= 0) && (iChar <= GetLength())
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

And, just for good measure, .XZ archives are a little depressed as well. (Exact same assertion as .VHD above.)

Proving to be the most popular assertion of this young century, it also applies to the .RPM format.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2015 Apr 26, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
dmattote

Post by dmattote »

Is there no way to make this thing work for those of us that still use Win XP sp3?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

where do you find all these arcane archive formats ?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:where do you find all these arcane archive formats ?
I'm taking a kaleidoscopic tour throughout the psychedelic history of archiving... when I was a kid, I just wasn't happy unless I came home from a day at the beach with at least 5 trilobita and 10 brachiopoda, so I'm just amusing my middle-ageness with a second-childhood. Still won't wear shorts though, and those stupid inflatable armbands are just not happening. :D But other than that, as any downloading "privateer" will tell you, there's nothing you can't find on the internet. :wink:

I'm almost certain that there's some bloke in the arse-end of nowhere who's wondering why his server was spun up in the middle of the night just so I could be the first guy in 12 years to download a crazy command-line archiver everyone thought was long dead.

What is it about Linux people that they all seem to believe "they can do it better" than the other guy, and so they just invent their own formats? Did you know that ARJ actually stands for "Archived by Robert Jung"? Took me forever to find his little toy, but I got there in the end. :D

Isn't this why you feed me mouldy old bread crusts under the table, and give me oil for the chains you tied to my ankles? Igor just wants to make master happy before he rebels and lops off his head and piecemeals out master's corpse to the baying townsfolk. That's been my evil plan all along, isn't it obvious? (It's clearly outlined in the "So you want to own your own Igor?" handbook - didn't you read the fine-print? It's listed twice in the "Inevitable Outcomes" and at least once in the "Occasional Amusements" appendices dated Anno Domini 1341.) :twisted:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Speaking of which: .ARJ amuses us with...

Debug Assertion Failed!

File: SevenZip\SevenZipArchive.cpp
Line: 189

Expression: !ItemCount
And (my personal favourite) .LHA gives two-for-the-price-of-one assertions...

Debug Assertion Failed!

File: SevenZip\SevenZipArchiveItem.cpp
Line: 203

Expression: VT_UI8 == Value.vt

Debug Assertion Failed!

File: SevenZip\SevenZipArchiveItem.cpp
Line: 212

Expression: (FD_WRITESTIME|FD_FILESIZE) == (info.dwFlags & (FD_WRITESTIME|FD_FILESIZE))
The good news is that LHA work after they are "ignored". The other archives (all above) just "ding" at me with nary a crash - very boring.

And yes, I will send you a smörgåsbord, a cornucopia, a caravanserai of these evil little things later so you can try them yourself before you buy. Just remember - never ever feed them after midnight! :D
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I remember ARJ being a somewhat popular archiver a while back (in the 1990s?)... I think it was one of the first (on DOS/Windows) to support multipart archives... I did not realize it was still around...

LHAs had very good compression ratios but was slow creating and extracting files... I have not seen any LHA files in a long time either...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I made one of each last night! When the master is away, Igor has fun in the laboratory resurrecting the dead! :D ARJ comes from the days when projects had 33-files in their working directory, but the whole lot still amounted to less than 1MB. It was last "updated" (if you can call it that) just a few years ago. He's also the same bloke who brought us the JAR format, unsurprisingly given the lettering, and anyone who uses Mozilla products or VLC media player will have a few of those buried on their systems.

Compression ratios vary - you could spend a small lifetime trying all the options and comparing them. I'm not that adventurous - I think of them like little pies, I just bake them up and throw them in Nikos' face just like the stooges used to do. :wink:

Stuffing this stuff in his inbox is more fun than all the dung we used to fill the neighbour's postboxes with many years ago. City kids can have a lot of fun on farms.

Hey, I'm easily amused! :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one more try, version 1005!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I am not getting the assertion with the new one when browsing parts of a multipart rar archive... you only see the contents of that part rather than of the entire archive...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:When the master is away, Igor has fun in the laboratory resurrecting the dead! :D ARJ comes from the days when projects had 33-files in their working directory, but the whole lot still amounted to less than 1MB. It was last "updated" (if you can call it that) just a few years ago.
Dr. Frankilmatead built a monster out of ARJ and ACE, filled with JPEG2000 images.
Those nightmares!
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
railshot

Post by railshot »

Is there a way to have this functionality working on a portable installation, assuming host PC has NSE installed? I am using X2 Ultimate on Win10 x64. RAR folders open in Windows Explorer, but not in X2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if it works in windows explorer it should also work in xplorer2!?
but the NSE itself is not "portable", it must be installed on every PC you want to use it
railshot

Post by railshot »

nikos wrote:if it works in windows explorer it should also work in xplorer2!?
I tested it some more and vanilla portable installation works just fine. After I transfer x2settings.ini from my "set up just right" version it stops opening rar and 7z archives as folders (zip work just fine). I guess I will have to start from scratch and test it setting by setting.