new era: xplorer2 compressed archive enabled!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

new era: xplorer2 compressed archive enabled!

Post by nikos »

at present xplorer2 can only do zip and cab folders and no other compressed archive type, but lately I've been working on something that will enable almost any kind of archive to be browsed as a folder. Here's an alpha version if you want to try it

http://www.zabkat.com/test/7zNSE_32.7z (32 bit)
http://www.zabkat.com/test/7zNSE_64.7z (64 bit)
(requires windows VISTA or later, no XP)

There's a readme file in there for installation instructions. (Installation will be improved later). You can try it with any archive type supported by the 7-zip program, e.g. 7Z, RAR, ISO and what have you.

If you see any assertion errors while browsing archives, make a note of the message and let me know, then click on IGNORE button to continue

thanks!

PS once this is clear of misadventure, the advantages are obvious. Even in its present READ/EXTRACT only mode (no adding files), you can search, preview, compare, sort and all sorts of goodies that standalone compression programs will not allow!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: new era: xplorer2 compressed archive enabled!

Post by FrizzleFry »

It's working nicely for 7zip and rar files... after registering the dll and adjusting the HKCR keys for each extension I still had to choose what to open the files with the first time I double clicked on each type (7z, rar)... I chose explorer frame and the first time for each type a WE window is opened... after that they browse in the x2 pane like zip files...

I'm using the 64 bit version on Windows 8.1 x64.

When I try to copy files from within a rar file to the opposite pane with F5 x2 crashes.. but it does copy the files...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For those who do not wish to manually edit the registry themselves, and have their current handers remembered (for easy uninstalling), they may partake of the (inspiringly named) SevenZipFolderConfig utility.

This will Register/De-register the DLL, and allow simple selections of filetypes to associate via checkboxes, and remember/restore your current handler for the filetypes as necessary. Basically it does everything the SZF instructions-text describes, since Nikos is a stickler for that sort of thing.

Just take the EXE and place it in the same folder as the DLL (will work for both x64 and x86), and run it whenever you want to associate or de-associate a particular filetype with SZF, or to simply see which filetypes you have associated at the moment. It does what it says on the tin. :shrug:

For the moment, I have not included the full list of filetypes possible but the main ones are there for experimentation, as that's the current state of SZF anyway. If Nikos had been a little more patient :roll: I would have released this in a slightly more refined form, but it does the job without messing with disparate parts of the registry yourself.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2015 May 03, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It should be noted that what Nikos does not say in his instructions, is that x2 requires a re-start after you add/remove/change any filetype registration, or else things will be even more unpredictable than usual. Win Explorer too requires a restart if you choose to use it there.

Also, if you are using the RAR association, and you find that x2 just beeps at you for some archives you have downloaded, but works fine for others, this is because those archives have been created using RAR5 format compression, and 7Zip can't handle those. (The extension remains the same, so it can be somewhat confusing.)

If you don't like x2 crashing or are nervous at the mention of assertion errors, then please approach with caution - it is in no way a stable extension so should not be considered such. Beta really does mean beta, boys and girls.

Also, the shell-execute verbs for files within archives are not in place yet, so clicking on most things won't do much - this is only for browsing at the moment. Exactly why Nikos is in such a hurry to blow his load, I know not. Let's hope he faired better back in University. They say it's a common problem the older one gets (or is that younger?). :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

FrizzleFry wrote:When I try to copy files from within a rar file to the opposite pane with F5 x2 crashes.. but it does copy the files...
I have only one rar file but it doesn't crash like that... what does our rar expert has to say?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Robust Copy throws assertions (as it interprets each object), but doesn't crash (for me). Curiously, dragging and dropping (from the archive-pane) doesn't even try to copy, it just results in .LNK shortcuts being created to the objects, but they contain the illusory path, so are essentially useless. Weird.

All that said, the same behaviour applies to all archive types (not just rar) so I just assumed it was SOP for read/only at the moment. You want me to get upset about every little gurgle your baby makes? Sheesh! I was supposed to be watching Snooker this week! The last 4 nights I've merely been "listening" to it, which is not quite the same thing if you know anything about the game. You're an evil taskmaster, Mr. Fagin sir - evil, I say! :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

drag drop works if you hold down SHIFT to copy. I'll see if I can make the default to copy rather than create shortcut
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Out of curiousity: Does this use a statically linked 7z or can I use my own version? I've been working with 7z alpha versions for a while now, it wouldn't surprise me if x2 fails to open its current archive format. :)

Other than that, I miss .ace support. The one format .7z is lacking. It might be considered "dead" but it's still around...
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this uses 7z.dll v9.2 but you can try replacing it with your latest dll... this is one of the tests I have in mind for the future
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Neat. I'll test it with an alpha version when I'm back home. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try the updated version 1002 (links as above, top of page)
no assertions should be taken for granted, press CTRL+C to copy the text, and let me know!
click on IGNORE button to see if the thing can recover itself
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

No assertions on copying, and drag/drop works. Oddly, Robust Copy does not show the normal x2 copy/progress window during transfer. And yes, it's cross-volume so x2 is actually doing the crime, it's just not willing to show the time.

No more assertions on .tgz and .gz :thumbup:

Open verbs seem to be working, though Windows Picture Viewer complains that a 440Kb JPG is "corrupted, damaged, or too large", yet a 220Kb JPG in the same RAR works fine.

And actuating an EXE within an archive results in about 20 different kinds of evil sludge in my bath, though this is to be expected... everything from "this is not a valid Win32 application" to "beep me one more time and I'll beep you in your beepin'-beep". Different ones seem to react differently - again, it seems to be sized based.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

robust copy only works for the filesystem (source and destination), otherwise it's like drag-drop
btw indeed there's a problem with RAR, in your own "installer" of all places! (can't extract EXE without crash)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:robust copy only works for the filesystem (source and destination)
I'm a pretty bright guy, but I must admit that makes no sense to me. So she's not going to give-out at the end of the evening no matter how much drink I ply her with?

Oh, wait - I geddit - virtual folders ain't part of no filesystem. Why didn't you just say so, pilgrim?
nikos wrote:...in your own "installer" of all places!
Yeah, the irony doesn't escape me. Works fine from a ZIP though. It may be my installer, but it's still your fault. :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's generic for all EXE files in any archive, wtf !?