Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 7zNSE beta 1006

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:But I am rather unpopular.
R-e-g-u-l-a-r B-a-t-h-i-n-g are the two words that will change your life. Admittedly, not something normally practised by the Irish (unless it's courting-season), but other peoples of Europe have found it quite purposeful towards healing everything from sniffles to scurvy, nervousness to plague. Use your donations wisely and invest in your own cast-iron behemoth today (it's almost so heavy as to be theft-proof!). They tell me this trend from the big-city folk will be all the rage one day. :shrug:
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Kilmatead wrote:You know that drum-snare sound you get when someone drops a deadpan joke and the room is silent?
That sound is called a "sting". ba-dum-tss, just as Tuxman says. Not sure of the etymology of the term, but its usage dates back to vaudeville and the circuses of the 19th century. Apparently folks have been telling jokes requiring stings for a long time. :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

longfellow wrote:That sound is called a "sting". ba-dum-tss, just as Tuxman says.
Ah, thank you! I admit, I was rather hoping it had a funky technical name (phylactery, tintinnabulation, or anastrophe like) which could then be used as a telling epitaph to confuse and entertain the cemetery-watchers, but "sting" it is! For some reason I kept trying to track down the technical term of [urban-dictionarywise] "crickets chirping", which is not the same thing at all - sometimes I have no control over my brain.

Q.E.D.: I am easily amused. :wink:

(On that same note, if anyone can tell me why my local supermarket does not stock the Parmesan cheese in the same aisle as the "other spaghetti-stuff", I would really like to know. It must be purely to flummox me personally.)
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

I hadn't heard it called a "sting" before, but I like it. I always called it a "rim shot" (because it involves hitting the metal rim of the snare at the same time as the drum head).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If my youthful years are remembered correctly from the crudeness of my playground days, "rim shot" is one of those phrases that has more meanings and connotations than any two words deserve. And most of them somewhat lewd, ribald, and too downright soldierly for a family forum like this. :D

Either that or my school was perhaps not in the best neighbourhood? The only percussions we were taught tended not to be of the musical variety.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

many things have rims...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

This is a family forum? My family disagrees.

(Still, I'm regularly banned for having inappropriate avatar images. Ban pictures, not words. I wonder which child will have a better life when it doesn't get confronted with mating before it's on drugs at the age of 12.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Risking a ban or a scolding. . . . In my youthful years on the playground my friends and I talked about a "rim job" as a thing you would tell only your enemies to go do to each other. And in my slightly older youthful years I worked on a construction site for a Hungarian man who, though he spoke excellent English, didn't have a full grasp of certain idiomatic phrases. I realized this one day when he called me over and said he had a "hand job" for me. I smiled and told him I was flattered, but. . . . He wanted me to dig a ditch. Nothing more.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Brig wrote:I hadn't heard it called a "sting" before, but I like it. I always called it a "rim shot" (because it involves hitting the metal rim of the snare at the same time as the drum head).
Technically speaking, the rimshot is part of the sting (the dum part of ba-dum-tsh). Though one can have stings without using the rimshot. And rimshots are often used on their own for punctuation, as well.