7zNSE beta 1006

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

7zNSE beta 1006

Post by nikos »

the era of compressed folder handling is a step closer!
the installer is not completely streamlined, and gives out some fake "virus" positives, both of which are kilmatead's faults :)
www.zabkat.com/test/7zNSE_setup_beta.exe (both 32/64)

any feedback or problems please let me know
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 7zNSE beta 1006

Post by Kilmatead »

...and if certain Greek chickens weren't in such a hurry to cross the road and had waited an hour like I told you, it would be more streamlined with the version I just sent you. But oh no, jumping the gun as usual. How the heck did you ever wait through the births of two children? Did you lace your cigars with morphine or something?

It's guys like you who usually lost their heads when jumping out of the trenches during World War I - can you see the smirks on our faces as we run past your steaming mangled corpse? We shall embrace victory, you have embraced mud!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

compressed archives seems redundant to me... why not just Browsable Archives NSE?

I did not get any virus warnings when I installed... AVG free...

The Internet shortcut that is installed has a bad link...

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://zabkat.com/blog/@@@
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2015 Apr 29, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Technically speaking, things like TAR (Tape ARchives) do not actually apply compression, they just collect things together into a single file which is subsequently compressed using BZ or somesuch. Hence the term "TAR-ball" to indicate its status type. And in case anyone thinks "Who uses tape anymore?", recent requests such as this remind us that the best backup medium is always the least volatile - and hard drives (contrary to standards) are ridiculously volatile and are thus unsuitable. :shrug:

But yeah, the name is a bit... <sigh>. If you can shout BCA7zNSE ten times fast, you're ahead of the game.

If the blog has yet to be written, how can it have a link? Chicken and the Egg thing... :D It's not just "my thing" that's beta, the whole lot of it is (and subject to change, like available filetypes, user-scope, etc). Nikos' head thinks further ahead than his feet can march, so the beta moniker should be taken seriously...

That being said, we are well on our way to resurrecting ARJ as the new global standard (RAR? Zip? Raisins and nuts. Pfffftttt!)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now the installer includes the proper config by kilmatead, thanks!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I want my lunch-hour back! I went without food for this project! Let my sacrifice not be in vain! Carthago delenda est! I starve... for the Republic!

drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

It is an interesting comment on our advanced society when missing one meal is considered starving.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

As stated in a previously forthright fit of pique, an off-topic post by Kilmatead that doesn't include at least a little bit of hyperbole passed off as Talmud-approved voodoo is just not an officially-authorised post by Kilmatead.

There is nothing like the superlative fancy to take a solemn event of cultural importance and belittle it within a metaphoric context for symbolic effect. If you can't do that, then you're suffering from an over exaggerated sense of respect for claustrophobic historiography - or, to put it colloquially, you're a damp squib. :D
hyperbole 1529, from L. hyperbole, from Gk. hyperbole "exaggeration, extravagance," related to hyperballein "to throw over or beyond," from hyper- "beyond" + bole "a throwing, a casting, the stroke of a missile, bolt, beam," from bol-, nom. stem of ballein "to throw" (see ballistics). Rhetorical sense is found in Aristotle and Isocrates.
And the day I recognise anything in these recent centuries of sesquipedalophobic delusion as indicative of an "advanced society" is the day I give up my membership in the Cincinnatus Fan Club. :wink:

Now, just to keep a certain well-fed Greek magnate happy, what does any of this have to do with keeping a certain namespace shell extension as news-o-the-day? Or, more importantly, Snooker? My first real night to watch it free from the stentorious expectation of an evil overlord, and you go and bait me for the fun of it. (Why does Netez have no on-board gesticulatingly Yiddish emoticon for frustration? This BBS really could use one! Though, pondering, one would wonder what it might actually look like. :shock:)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I got this assertion when I double-clicked on an image in a passworded rar file.

Edit: removed image
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2015 Apr 30, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you see assertions it means that your old (alpha) installation is still in force. Reboot (or at least logoff/on) and try again
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Hmm, personally I'd still prefer to have the installer as a .7z archive. It would make sense in a meta way, right?

Other than that: While tapes are not the fastest backup medium, they have proven to be one of the most durable. At least optical digital media are facing their end, having no backups because the CD-R you used has reached its maximum lifespan of three years is something you wouldn't want to experience more often than required.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can use your 7zip program to "open" the installer and extract the files
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Yay! Extra steps!

(Also: Yay! Unpacking an installer, ignoring all the extra bloat the installer adds to work!)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You're right, Nikos, after robooting I do not get an assertion when double-clicking images in passworded rar files... I do get this error

but that's expected...
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Curious - will this be folded into X2? If yes which ones - Lite, Pro, or Ultimate? Or will it be a separate product a'la Deskrule?

I don't have a preference, as I doubt I'd use it. If I wanted to use 7zip I'd install it.

I use WinRAR and Peazip. The latter to make the odd .7z for weirdo's who insist zip and rar are M$ 'inventions', and to deal with split archives.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21