Folder size results are best viewed in the stock size column

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Folder size results are best viewed in the stock size column

Post by pschroeter »

Lately the last day or two xplorer² starts up okay, but takes several seconds to fill the windows with files and folders. Today I also noticed a message of

“Folder size results are best viewed in the stock size column”

in the lower left which is displayed after starting up that then goes away. I don’t know what this means and I don’t remember changing anything.
Thank you
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder size results are best viewed in the stock size co

Post by nikos »

TOOLS > OPTIONS menu ADVANCED page turn off the automatic folder size calculation
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I bend me arm like so!"

Doctor: "Then don't bend your arm like that!"

Nikos, if you gave me that kind of answer on a technical forum I'd thump you one on the noggin for wasting my morning. A non-noob like pschroeter doesn't want to be told to turn off something he's probably been using for years, he wants to be dazzled by your eloquence as you describe why when initial access to drive-tables begins to become erratic (if regular), it always makes you wax philosophically about how the two things in nature that humans can't predict are earthquakes and hard-drive failures.

Not saying anything myself, just poking holes in your social skills - anybody can tell him the sex of his unborn child or the weather on Mars these days, that stuff's easy. :wink:

Besides, folder-size calculation does not tend to interfere with initial listings, it simply gives null-size folder counts until the contents have been sorted behind the scenes - unless it's related to that background threading setting thingy... :shrug:

You're supposed to be the knowledgeable one!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

like all busy doctors you throw in the most reasonable explanation and hope you'd never see the patient again :)
for more ideas see www.zabkat.com/blog/why-is-xplorer2-slow.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

This probably explains why Greece has the highest numbers of rhinoplasty in the EU. Punch, fix, repeat. Punch, fix, repeat. :wink:
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:like all busy doctors you throw in the most reasonable explanation and hope you'd never see the patient again :)
for more ideas see http://www.zabkat.com/blog/why-is-xplorer2-slow.htm
This problem seems a little bizarre in my opinion because resetting the custom icon for the last custom I created to the default icon seems to have fixed the problem. There was no way I was going to make a connection between it and my problem. Would putting all the custom icons I use in the same place make xplorer² happy not looking all over the computer for them?

First telling me to turn off calculating folder sizes reminds me of a joke. Man goes to the doctor and complains, “doctor it hurts when I move my arm like this.” Doctor, “then stop moving your arm like that.”
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

icons are surprisingly slow to obtain. If you have the option use plain icon (ICO) files instead of loading icons from DLLs or executables. To minimize this kind of startup delay the obvious solution is to start xplorer2 and leave it running for as long as possible
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

I thought I had fixed this, but alas no. Since the only thing I did in the week before the problem appeared was upgrade, I downgraded to 3.0.04 and this didn’t fix the problem either. I’ve also tried turning off folder size calculation and removing size columns, but those feature have never caused it to slow down before.
I enter a folder and see
“Reading subfolders …”
which takes varying amounts of time and then
“Folder size results are best viewed in the stock size column”

I really want to know what this means, especially since I use stock [S] handlers.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

your folder size calculation is still active, that's why you see this message. It may or may not be the cause of the delay

the message itself indicates that (a) folder size calculation is on and (b) you are either in plain list view mode or in detailed mode but without the size column

ps when errors get really funny, check your antivirus software, it may be blocking xplorer2