Save settings

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Save settings

Post by Robert2 »

I cannot manage to activate "window > Info tips for items" and make it stick! Neither “Save program state on exit” nor Save settings now” will work! It gets deactivated whenever I relaunch xplorer² with "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe".

Thanks for any help!
Robert
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Save settings

Post by Kilmatead »

Are you, perchance, using the dreaded "explorer replacement mode"? That leaves a process running in the background (when the main x2 window is closed), which has been known to interfere with the "save settings on exit" directive.

To disable this superfluous background process, use the Tools -> Advanced Options -> General (tab) -> In replacement mode don't remain resident... option to disable that, which should allow the standard "Save Settings Now" action to stick every time as expected.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Thanks, Kilmatead, but I never ran xplorer² in xplorer replacement mode…
I am now running Windows 10 Home Edition if it makes any difference…
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

All I can say is that it sounds like you have an extra x2 process running which is interfering with the saving of settings. The usual suggestion is to make sure everything is dead (kill all x2 processes, not just their windows) before you repopulate the planet (restart x2 as a single instance and try Save Settings Now manually).

Outside of that, I cannot guess further - I know of nothing on Win10 that would interfere with that one setting if all others seem to stick as expected. :shrug:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I have just realized that I cannot change any of the settings! If I change any of them, they are back in their previous state when I relaunch xplorer²! I have tried running xplorer² as Admin to no avail. The settings are frozen!
Help!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Are you using INI or Registry? Make sure your INI is not in the programmes folder - newer Windows disable write access there. Again, I know of nothing in Win10 that would block access to the Registry though - except the usual culprits of overactive AV's, etc, as Nikos' settings-related blog suggests.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I tried disabling UAC completely. To no avail! I cannot change any of the xplorer² settings! The INI file is in the AppData folder.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try saving your settings to registry. INI is not advisable because it is slower anyway
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Are you sure you have x2 setup to save its settings to an ini in AppData?
Tools/Options/General (tab)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I have a fast system on a SSD. It does not make any difference if I use the registry or the INI file. But neither method will keep any new settings!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Sounds like it may be an issue with the newly released windows10 today.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1. check how many xplorer2 processes you have running (task manager)
2. check your command line in case you are forcing any particular settings file
3. reboot/go to sleep :)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I only have one instance of xplorer² running at all times.
The shortcut command-line is "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe”
I have rebooted several times to no avail.
I also have gone to bed.
But the good fairy never visited my system, or the xplorer² shortcut…
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

A simple test as to whether you are actually using the INI in the AppData or not (regardless of what the settings tell you) is to manually delete the INI file (backing up first, obviously), then immediately use Save Settings Now. If the AppData\Roaming\zabkat\x2settings.ini is recreated (you'll see it appear), then at least you obviously have write-access to the folder, which is the main point.

If the file doesn't appear, then your Account ACL's may have been scrambled somehow (though that wouldn't explain why Registry settings wouldn't work).

There have been unreliable reports of similar spooks plaguing people, but "in-place upgrading" is never a reliable method for changing Windows versions.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Following Kilmatead’s tip, I deleted the only file that was present in the AppData folder, i.e. “x2settings.ini.bak”. I didn’t think it would be any use. But it did the trick. I am now able to save my xplorer² settings to the AppData folder. Problem solved! Thank you all for showing concern!