Save settings

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Save settings

Post by Robert2 »

Well, I am back with the same problem! I tried to change some of the settings. Some like “Infotips for items” won’t stick. Others like “Allow slow double-click to rename items” simply won’t go! When I relaunch xplorer², the previous settings are systematically restored.
I just tried uninstalling, then reinstalling xplorer² completely. To no avail!
I am stumped!
Now that I have reinstalled xplorer², the “Actions” main menu does not include “Save settings now” any more. What gives?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Robert2 wrote:the “Actions” main menu does not include “Save settings now” any more.
You may have accidentally checked Tools -> Options -> Window -> Plain Menus, which removes all the useful commands from menus. Just uncheck it to switch back to real menus.

When you uninstalled, did you select the option to remove all settings? Either way, to completely remove any settings residue from carrying over, delete the \Roaming\zabkat folder as well as the HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc key from the registry - do so manually, if necessary, then reinstall.

For simplicity, stick with saving settings to the registry for now (no need to complicate things). Don't restore any old settings files or anything, just stick with the ugly default layout and verify that in its "virginal state", everything works as expected when setting specific options and then closing/re-opening.

If everything works as expected, then something apparently may have been corrupted within your old setup file, thus causing this odd behaviour. However, if things continue to act abnormally even on install-settings, then it is likely to be a conflict with your account settings (ACL access), or some other software interference (anti-virus, firewalls which monitor process actions, etc, etc, etc). In all likelihood it's just a snafu with the switch from Reg to INI.

In any event, the only way to find out is to first clear all settings completely from the machine as described above.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Here is what I did:
I deactivated all of the Windows SmartScreen options, just in case.
I gave xplorer² all authorizations with the Windows firewall.
BitDefender is unlikely to cause trouble. It didn’t in Windows 8.1.
I uninstalled xplorer² again through the official Windows procedure. I chose not to retain any settings at all. I manually deleted the \Roaming\zabkat folder as well as the HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc key from the registry. I then scoured the registry for “zabkat” left-overs. I found a few of them. I deleted all of them. I re-downloaded the xplorer² setup file from zabkat.com. I reinstalled xplorer². I reentered my license key. I customized the xplorer² GUI as I would like it to stick. Same problem again! Some of the options won’t go (“Allow slow double-click to rename items”), others won’t stick (“Infotips for items” and “Automatically resize Name column in detailed view”).
The funny bit in this is that some of the options I changed have stuck. Only the above options won’t budge from their default(?) values!
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

By the way, when I reinstalled xplorer², the installer gave me 3 shortcut options. Only the first one (on the Desktop) was available. The other two (on the Quick Launch Bar, and one I cannot remember) were greyed out. Is this “normal”? I had to create the Quick Launch Bar shortcut manually as an offshoot of the Desktop shortcut.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when things get really weird for simple operations, then your antivirus is the first suspect
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Regarding the Quick Launch Bar, I have come to realize that it was removed from Windows 10. Windows 10 has only one big Taskbar for everything.
I don’t see how my antivirus would block only some specific options in xplorer². Some options can be activated/deactivated, others cannot be changed.
Just to make sure, I deactivated BitDefender and tried changing/saving options in xplorer². The changes wouldn’t stick.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you read the article about settings headaches and in particular those talking about the pitfalls of custom folder settings? Try to exit xplorer2 from a safe folder, e.g. c:\ or wherever else you haven't used custom folder settings
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Spot on!
1. I displayed the C: “folder” in both panes (which is something I normally would never contemplate doing, not even in my wildest gore nightmares).
2. I changed the xplorer² settings as I wanted them to be, clicked on “Actions > Save settings now”, closed xplorer², then reopened it.
The settings had been kept! :)
No more headaches! :)
Thanks a lot, Nikos! :D

This said, I wish I wouldn’t have to go through all these hoops to save just a few options!