File Menu Tools version 7.0.1

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

File Menu Tools version 7.0.1

Post by RightPaddock »

Anyone using FMT - two of the features I use a lot are copy the file path and copy the file url to clipboard

With latest version 7.0.1 of FMT, whenever I do one of those, it fires off X2's Copy feature - didn't happen with FMT 6.7.2.

Note that I'm on an old version of X2 (see signature), because nothing in later versions has justified the upgrade cost.

I guess I'm interested in knowing if FMT 7.0.1 has same issues with latest X2.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: File Menu Tools version 7.0.1

Post by Kilmatead »

From a quick install to test, that problem seems to be specific to 2.5.0.4 on Win10. It does not happen with newer versions of x2 (on Win10) , and nor does it happen with 2.5.0.4 on Win7.

This is an issue for FMT itself I would suspect, as it's the one messing with the shell - though exactly how you would get anyone (either your man or Nikos) to worry about compatibility for out-of-date software is a different story. Probably easier to just use an older version of FMT (v6600 works fine with 2504 on Win10 and does not exhibit this behaviour, though its installer is complete and utter rubbish).

(Unrelated, it's odd the the FMT installer tries to foist all sorts of ad-crap on the user under Win7, yet it seems to skip that part on Win10, though Win10's defender seems to be arguing that it's maleware, which might account for it.) :shrug:
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Kilmatead wrote:maleware
:?:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Not FMT itself, just the extra nonsense that the installer "offers" to you like Yahoo toolbars or the Opera Browser, etc. Win10's "defender" kept flagging that component of the installer as an adware-trojan, which it technically is.

It's more or less a false-positive, but adware is adware... :shrug:

(I don't use Windows Defender [or Win10] so I would never normally see such warnings; the Win10 I use for testing is just a VM left to default settings and wiped regularly for simplicity.)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Kilmatead wrote:... maleware, ...
As opposed to FEMALEware?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, that too. :D

Girls who are boys
Who like boys to be girls
Who do boys like they're girls
Who do girls like they're boys
Always should be someone, you really love

I stayed away from the Blur vs. Oasis thing 20 years ago, and I'm still just as innocent today as I ever was. As I ever was. As ever. I read as little between the lines as I do between the sheets. Or... er... something like that, 'gov. Spelling is overrated.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Kilmatead wrote:From a quick install to test, that problem seems to be specific to 2.5.0.4 on Win10. It does not happen with newer versions of x2 (on Win10) , and nor does it happen with 2.5.0.4 on Win7.

This is an issue for FMT itself I would suspect, as it's the one messing with the shell - though exactly how you would get anyone (either your man or Nikos) to worry about compatibility for out-of-date software is a different story. Probably easier to just use an older version of FMT (v6600 works fine with 2504 on Win10 and does not exhibit this behaviour, though its installer is complete and utter rubbish).

(Unrelated, it's odd the the FMT installer tries to foist all sorts of ad-crap on the user under Win7, yet it seems to skip that part on Win10, though Win10's defender seems to be arguing that it's maleware, which might account for it.) :shrug:
Thanks K - I was mainly looking for confirmation, odd that it does not have same problem with xplorer² version 3.x, I anticipated it would. Did you test with Disable Robust Copy checked, I use that option.

I've regressed to version FMT 6.8, and I've since discovered that FMT 7.0.1 clobbers the Copy as path option from Win10's File mangler shift+right click context menu. I can't help but suspect that that defect is related to the problem I had with X² version 2.5.

I run Defender on Win10, AFAIK it doesn't find OC etc crap until after they're installed, and my memory is that MSE in Win7 was similar. Smartscreen might complain about installing 'untrusted' software, but it only does that first time - I think. The primary reason I run Malwarebytes Pro is that it detects the crap when the install file is unpacked, i.e. before they're installed.

BTW: If you donate $5 or more to Lopesoft, you get access to the vanilla installs.

BR
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Kilmatead, searching for 'overrated' in duckduckgo brings up lyrics to Mika - Overrated.

Or were you listening to some other Mika song? The Origin of Love, perhaps?

Are you that deep?!

-

I can only imagine the Knightmares you must be experiencing of late.
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

RightPaddock wrote:Did you test with Disable Robust Copy checked, I use that option.
It helps if you mention things like that up front. :wink: However, it makes no difference to the results. (Not to mention that disabling robust copy just means that x2 uses the windows-copy routines for the evil deeds, it doesn't actually disable the x2 copying/menus/actions, etc, those remain intact.)

And all of that has more or less become moot now, as 7.02 seems to have been released which (as far as I can tell) fixes the issue. The changelog includes something about the previous version "always triggering the copy menu on Total Commander"... which is too much of a coincidence to actually be a coincidence. :D

Anyway, another quick test with 2.5.0.4 shows that it works as expected now.
RightPaddock wrote:I run Defender on Win10, AFAIK it doesn't find OC etc crap until after they're installed...
That doesn't appear to be the case - while it does not actually notify upon detection, it most certainly seems to quarantine the offender right away. Without doubt the same installer (on Win7) has a whole separate rigmarole about "Would you like to install all sorts of crapware with this product..." (ok, not a literal quote, but you get the idea), whereas installing on Win10 completely skips that. I'm assuming that the reason is because on Win10 the defender-thingy disabled the adware DLL, so the installer could never actually execute it, and the installer therefore continues nonchalantly. A few minutes later, however, defender starts giving tray notification messages relating to what it had done. On Win7 I have defender disabled, so the DLL is allowed to do its thing unmolested.

Thus, I surmise that defender does indeed trap and scan things as they are extracted/installed, not just after - at least on Win10, and at least as regards installers - I know not about archives-proper, though to be fair "installers" per se are mostly just scripted forms of extractors anyway. :shrug:

However, as I don't use it, and never will, that surmission is now just more clutter for my poor brain to store somewhere. :D
profess wrote:Are you that deep?!
How can one lousy typo get me in this much trouble? :oops: Do you lads just sit around waiting for me to trip-up before you pounce and hack away at my scalp? I thought they banned the infamous "post-Christmas hunt". (The thing with horses and dogs and unhappy foxes.)

:baaa:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Are you that deep
Was a reference to your poem, actually. Unless it was taken from somewhere else. nvm
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

My "poem" was the refrain from Girls and Boys by Blur... hence the reference to... umm... Blur. :D

Never having heard of "Mika" I can safely say its unrelated. My pop music knowledge ended somewhere around the release of Hotel California by the Eagles in 1977. Everything after that is just parody of decent music. :wink:

(Well, that's a lie, I'm actually a classical-music buff, so technically real music died in 1992 when Olivier Messiaen passed on. :sad:)
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Kilmatead wrote:the previous version "always triggering the copy menu on Total Commander"... which is too much of a coincidence to actually be a coincidence. :D
To be sure it's isn't. I'm going to wait a while (like at least a month) before I upgrade - they've been a bit thick and fast.

I wonder what he did to create the problems with TC and old X2 - nothing suggestive in the change logs. The fact that the primary version number incremented may indicate some major code refactoring, sans rigorous regression testing. There's a lot to be said for layabout dogs. And I wonder what nikos did in X2 version 3 to dodge this bullet.

As for the crap detection by Defender etc. I'm sticking to MWB Pro. It detects them when I execute the install and asks me what I want to do about them. It must pre-empt whatever Defender does, because I never see any post-operative Defender notifications.

BTW I got an unofficial confirmation on Technet that DLT in Win 10 does indeed detect shortcut target moves and renames on removable devices - but responder couldn't find anything 'official' :shrug: Ψ²

BR
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

RightPaddock wrote:BTW I got an unofficial confirmation on Technet that DLT in Win 10 does indeed detect shortcut target moves and renames on removable devices - but responder couldn't find anything 'official' :shrug:
Is that contingent upon a reboot, or does it happen automagically on plugin? The previous dox referred to it as cosseted under reboot for NTFS. Never seemed to work for me anyway, but I vaguely recall liberally disabling some services the last time I fresh-installed, so "experiences may vary". :D
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Kilmatead wrote:
RightPaddock wrote:BTW I got an unofficial confirmation on Technet that DLT in Win 10 does indeed detect shortcut target moves and renames on removable devices - but responder couldn't find anything 'official' :shrug:
Is that contingent upon a reboot, or does it happen automagically on plugin? The previous dox referred to it as cosseted under reboot for NTFS. Never seemed to work for me anyway, but I vaguely recall liberally disabling some services the last time I fresh-installed, so "experiences may vary". :D
I dunno if a reboot is required - because I did nowt to make it happen.

On a whim I tried it in Win 10 and it worked. The whim stemmed from the fact that my fixed drives appear in the Win 10 tray gadget for 'safely removing hardware and ejecting media', So I thought - well, if that, why not DLT on removables, let's try it - voilà it worked. You have to 'use' the shortcut to effect the repair.

I've never disabled DLT, some of those who recommended it be disabled (back in XP/2000 days) seemed to think that it was only applicable to network targets, presumably because it's called Distributed . . .. But even back then it also worked on fixed local NTFS drives. But also back then, removable was synonymous with FAT which has no Object Id's, on which DLT depends. So my guess is that back then, MS crippled DLT in order to avoid complaints that DLT didn't work on FAT.

I don't know what happens if you move a shortcut target from removable drive A to removable drive B. On reflection I'm not sure I know what happens if you move a target between NTFS fixed volumes. IIRC the object Ids are now in the MFT, under XP they were in Alt data streams. I could do some more testing, then again I could wait until I need to know - thus obviating the necessity to remember the results of a test.

RP
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

RightPaddock wrote:...thus obviating the necessity to remember the results of a test.
That, and the fact that it's still Christmas-week certainly make the procrastination-plan sound better and better! :D