Forgot my layout - keeps returning to default

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

paulrus

Forgot my layout - keeps returning to default

Post by paulrus »

Hi all -

I'm sure this is user error, but it's driving me crazy. I have 3.1.0.2 Ultimate (Lifetime) and it's worked great for me. I had it configured the way I wanted with a couple of custom toolbars, color coding, etc. Then one day a couple of weeks ago I started it up and my custom toolbars were gone and so was my color coding rules. I recreated my layout, gave up on color coding and everything was fine again. I have some custom folder icons/colors set up and it's great that the toolbar reflects those customization's - except one day all my icons returned to their defaults. I check to see if I had changed the settings to use Fast icons, but it wasn't. So I went back and re-added my bookmarks, overwriting what was there and the icons re-appeared.

Now, the problem is - it used to start up to my customized layout (I keep the default one as-is and don't touch it). But for some reason now it always returns to the default.

My guess is, while installing the latest version (whenever it came out) I overwrote something. I've been using it so long I don't really remember how I set everything up at the start (and I'm not much of a coder/programmer type, so a lot of this isn't obvious to me).

Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

My system is Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs of ram, Titan X graphics card & something like 4 1TB ssds.

Thanks,

Paul
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forgot my layout - keeps returning to default

Post by nikos »

there are a few programs that can screw up xplorer2 settings, as explained here
this assumes you are saving your settings in the registry -- or are you using an INI file?
it is a good idea to keep a backup of your settings in case of mishaps

also for layouts, the simplest solution is to make all your changes in the DEFAULT layout so you don't have to do anything special to choose a layout
paulrus

Post by paulrus »

I have my preferences set to save as an ini in my user/appdata folder. But based on your link, I'm wondering if CCleaner did a number on my install.

I'll take your suggestion and tweak the default layout. One suggestion though, in the Organize window for layouts, it'd be nice to be able to re-order them - that way you could make any layout the default.

Thanks!

Paul
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are using xplorer2 on your own computer, and it is installed on your hard drive, I recommend using the registry instead of an INI file. Things will run faster
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

For what it’s worth, I run x2 ultimate on a SSD in Windows 10 x64, and I save the x2 settings to the user/appdata folder. X2 runs as fast as lightning! I have no issues with CCleaner.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you had it on a hard disk, you'd notice a delay whenever settings are saved, especially if you have many layouts. It doesn't affect the speed of the program, only the settings persistence bit