man at work again

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: man at work again

Post by Kilmatead »

Wikipedia wrote:In the Netherlands and Flanders, Zwarte Piet (Dutch for "Black Pete") is a servant of Sinterklaas, who delivers bags of presents on December 5 and takes naughty kids back to Spain in the now empty bags.
Now that's the kind of Christmas story you can be proud of - the Americans won't be making any silly feel-good films about that one. To be fair, you lads did have a rather messy argument with the Dutch once upon a time, and apparently they really took it to heart. Curiously, in the usual self-deprecating manner of the Irish, there are some who think that the modern exporting of Irish to live and work in England is itself a worthy curse upon the English themselves (as part of our revenge). Apparently the Dutch do not share a similar sentiment about such things, and prefer to bear a grudge instead, on into legend and lore. It is, in the long view, utterly astonishing what effects the extremely prolonged fall of the Roman Empire had on Europe so many centuries after the fact itself.

And the moral of the story seems to be: Do not to mess with the Habsburgs. That's one seriously unhappy family. :D
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

Nikos,

Not sure if either of these are easy or not for you to implement in either the pro\ult versions.

1. Add an option that toggles the use of the space bar as the selection function (cmd 32823). The space bar rocks for processing alot of items with the space bar while sticky is turned on; but there are alot of times where I'd like to type the name of file\folder (that has a space) and X2 stops navigating when I press space. It'd would be kickass if this was a toggle like the sticky selection vs. removing it completely from cmd 32823.

2. I use CTRL+H all the time to find files (this is easily one of my top 3 features). Could there be an option in the settings to include folders in the quick visual filter (via CTRL+H)?

If you can implement either, I'll name my next child after you! Well, maybe we'd need to wifey permission - but I'll put an honest effort in.

Regardless - Have a good one and I love my X2 ult! Thanks for all the upgrades.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

both your recommendations can be dealt with CUSTOMIZE > KEYBOARD menu command. You can set any key for any command. For the space, just find the command and remove the key from it.
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

So, if I want to type space and still have the filename - I remove the space bar from the command. Now, when I want to use space bar to select items, I have to reassign space bar back to the command. Is there a way to macro to toggle that setting?

With #2, how do I specify include folders when doing CTRL+H for the visual filter via a key command?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't have your cake and eat it, you must choose what action each key will do. To select items you can also press INS key which also goes down

in general you can't do anything fancy within xplorer2. Each key just starts the dialog, it can't choose options. For other stuff try autoit or ask the script guy of the forum :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

One of the script guys on the forum would probably point out that <Ctrl+H> already does match folder names... unless (and this just struck me), he's not actually looking to match any folders at all, he just wants them displayed (in spite of the filter) so as to continue browsing the hierarchy.

In other words, a more convenient means of <Alt+H> defining a bunch of logical-OR rules to filter specific filenames yet also match all folders (regardless of name)...

He would also point out that as well as hitting <Ins>, the Middle-Mouse-Button (for those who use a mouse) is a convenient means of selection-toggle as well.

He's also a little unsure exactly how pressing <Space> is interfering with navigation - that sounds more like the usual Listary 3rd-party conflict, for which the traditional cure is to clear 32823, as mentioned.
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

@nikos
I have found a teeny bug you might want to address (there are 2 others I have come across, but I have yet to reliably reproduce them - so won't report them until I can).

Renaming a USB memory stick (via Properties) causes the wrong Drive name to be displayed during a Move or Copy drag operation between panes in Dual Pane mode:

1) Insert USB memory stick
2) Rename USB memory stick via Properties dialog
3) Press CTRL-R until new name appears in Xplorer2 Folders tree (I had to to this several times before the new name appeared)
4) Drag (or CTRL-Drag) a file from the 2nd pane onto the USB memory stick pane

Xplorer2 displays the old USB memory stick name in its "Copy" or "Move" tooltip text during the drag.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Time to update the good old custom skin with a new button? :party:
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

Kilmatead,

The quick visual filter (CTRL+H) without the rules, etc as far as I can tell doesn't include the folders. Tested on 3.1.02 and a couple versions as far back as 2.0.0.0 (I have a couple of virtual machines that revert on shutdown and haven't updated these in a long while). Didn't think of the ALT+H filter option, which does work. Thanks for mentioning that since I had forgot about the filter with rules. Works perfect. So ALT+H instead of CTRL+H :D

Regarding the space bar: Again, I tried this on the same VMs that don't have any 3rd party utilities running and get the same behavior.

For an easy example: I navigate to the root of C: and try to navigate to Program Files (x86) via typing (generally I'm doing this against a directories or files that have large amount items named in a similar way - where typing it would be much faster in selection that trying to select with a mouse). As I type Program (the first Program Files dir is selected) as I press the space bar the line is deselected and navigation halts (due to cmd 32823 select/unselect). Windows explorer doesn't do this. The middle mouse button does work for selection, but it is much slower IMO to rapidly select\unselect a decent amount of files in a quick manner compared to the space bar and using the up\down arrows. Would be nice to have a toggle with a shortcut for the 32823 command or a way to macro it. Keep the best of both worlds that way... I work with a large amount of files and directories on a daily basis - it would just make it easier from a usability standpoint.

Hopefully the example above made sense.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

JonBoy wrote:navigation halts (due to cmd 32823 select/unselect). Windows explorer doesn't do this
but windows explorer doesn't space=select. You can't have the cake and eat it
or you can reassign 32823 command to CTRL+space
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

You can't have the cake and eat it
Well I can't force you to change it... so I'll have to stare at the cake and dream (maybe x2 4.0).

Changed to CTRL+Space as you recommended. Thanks!