Copy & Paste not working from/to same folder

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

chalkywhite

Copy & Paste not working from/to same folder

Post by chalkywhite »

If I CTRL-C a file (xplorer2 3.1.0.2 ULT [Unicode] x64) then CTRL-V it into a different folder, a new copy of the file is created as expected. However, if I CTRL-C a file then try to CTRL-V it into its own folder, nothing happens (i.e. no copy is created). I was expecting a new copy of the file to be created with "Copy" (or similar) added to the filename (as with Windows Explorer). Have I changed a setting somewhere which is causing this not to happen, or is this behaviour as intended?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copy & Paste not working from/to same folder

Post by nikos »

it should work... have you enabled robust paste from advanced options menu?
another thing you can try is EDIT > DUPLICATE menu command
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

Hi Nikos.

The nearest I can find to "Enable robust paste" is "Perform Edit -> Paste robustly (as with F5 command)". This was not checked, so I checked it and tried CTRL-C/CTRL-V again, resulting in a "Target cannot be identical to source name" error. However, EDIT > DUPLICATE works the way I had hoped CTRL-V would, so at least this is a workaround.

Should CTRL-V behave the same as EDIT > DUPLICATE - and does the fact it doesn't on my setup mean I've messed something up somewhere?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ctrl+V works for me so I don't know why it doesn't for you. Perhaps you have some external copy handler installed?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V in the same folder works for me... I get a copy named <basename>_2.<ext> or _3 for another copy...

so for somefile.txt the first copy is somefile_2.txt
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

Well that's really odd. I definitely don't have an external copy handler installed (if only I knew why I would even need one!), yet CTRL-C/CTRL-V refuses to work in the same folder unless I use EDIT -> DUPLICATE.

I must have screwed something up somewhere - is there a quick way to reset all options to their default settings?

[EDIT] Don't worry - I uninstalled and reinstalled xplorer2, and CTRL-C/CTRL-V now works as expected. I would really love to know what I did to break it though...
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

I don't understand what's going on here...

After uninstalling and reinstalling xplorer2, CTRL-C/CTRL-V to the same folder worked as expected once again. I had thought that it originally broke because of something I had done with the settings (which I assumed got reset when I selected the option to remove all registry entries during the uninstall process).

However, a few days later, CTRL-C/CTRL-V to the same folder has stopped working again (the only way I can duplicate a file is via EDIT->DUPLICATE) and this time it is definitely nothing to do with anything I have (or haven't) done, as all options are at their default settings. Am I the only person to have this problem? Even if I am, can anyone suggest a possible reason for why this is happening?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug:
if you are using this command a lot you can assign a keyboard shortcut to edit > duplicate and you will be even better off!
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

Wow - I hadn't found the keyboard assignment functions until you suggested that. I have done as you suggested - very neat. Xplorer2 is such a great tool - definitely the best software purchase I've made in a long time. Thank you. :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:beer: please spread the word!
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I also have this issue. But I thought that the whole point in you adding the Duplicate command was due to a limitation you found with just copying and pasting in the same folder?
Vas
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For what it's worth, if I have the extended option "Perform Edit Paste robustly" checked (thus using x2's copy routine) then it fails miserably. However, with that unchecked (normal shell copy), it works fine. :shrug: Nikos always did struggle with the simple stuff. :wink: