xplorer2 v3.2 final released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: xplorer2 v3.2 final released

Post by pschroeter »

FrizzleFry wrote:pschroeter, how old was your MenuHack executable?
The Details pane says it was version 3.1.1.1111 from 7/2/2007. Since it was working with x2 v. 3.1 that doesn't even sound right. All I know is the rewritten one release today works and I'm happy.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For the anoraks: The original MenuHack (as in the first versions by Snakebyte) had a rather convoluted mechanism for verifying the active window to be a proper x2 process. This went somewhat haywire when version 2 of x2 was released and it used modified classnames. When I rewrote the code (v1.2) I took all that stuff out, which means it simply targets the active window handle, which is always presumed to be of x2 origin (if used from a toolbar-button this is almost guaranteed). All that being said, any number of things can interfere with window-focussing, and if that goes awry for some reason (a shell extension that makes GUI-adaptations such as Listary and others), sometimes the message can be fired into the wrong queue and it's Goodnight Gracie. :shrug:

All in all though, it's fairly robust has "hacks" go.

I'll leave the AutoIt version up as the primary source for now since on the odd chance that someone wanted to modify it themselves, they would likely be more familiar with scripting languages than C itself. But there's something lithe about a 15KB file that just reminds us what it's like to be 10 years younger and ten pounds lighter. :D
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

File tags can be edited if you add the keyword stock property in the details pane. You can create a custom details pane definition file and add this line under comments property:
<p><A id="s_19" href="@">Keywords</a>: <span>val</span>
Does this mean I can edit photo tags directly in the Details pane? Do I change the example to:

<p><A id="s_19" href="@">Tags</a>: <span>val</span>

I’ve always wanted to use xplorer² to do basic file management of my photo collection, but have never been able to easily add Tags without opening up the Properties dialog. With the new xplorer² update I can reach Tags in the Detail view much easier, but I can’t show thumbnails at the same time. I would really like a hybrid of the Mini thumbs and Details view.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes, that's exactly what it means. For the next version I plan to have "details-cum-thumbnails" mode, but for the present you can use the quickviewer panel. Merry christmas :)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Still missing having an "Add NEW" button on the Toolbar and User Command Organize dialogs.

We have the ability to edit and delete from within Organize, is "Add NEW" all that hard to include?

-----------------------------------------
PJ in FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

add new what? all customize menu entries have add new menu commands that can be placed on a toolbar via menuhack
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

He wants one within the "Organise" dialogs themselves, which we've all been asking about for donkey's years (at least with regard to the User-Command Organise window).

And he seems to want one on the toolbar context menu as well, which would be useful, if no doubt rather awkward to implement, unless it was guaranteed as user-command only. :shrug:
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Already have an "Add Command" and "ORGANIZE" button on my toolbar.

Many times a command is going to be similar to another, so a easy way to copy from the existing command before pressing the ADD button would be helpful. So instead of an ADD button, how about a COPY or DUPLICATE button?

And while we're talking about ORGANIZE, there's a little feature in just about every program that has user-editable lists called DRAG-AND-DROP!

Why do I care? Try organizing a large list of BOOKMARKS by moving them one by one, up or down one per button press. Since I can't have a true hierarchical structured list of bookmarks, I'm forced to have a large flat list. :roll:

Also, because I care for the impression people have when using YOUR program. Have these little irritants embedded here and there and soon people begin to wonder if having a 3rd-party file manager is really necessary. WE has been getting better ...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

duplicate can be added, but as most lists don't allow manual editing, it isn't that useful
as for bookmarks, I ignore their layout. Just type part of the name in the addressbar and x2 will get the bookmark. You don't need a rigid organization once your "search engine" is simple and fast. If you insist on hierarchical organization, have a look here
www.zabkat.com/blog/27Mar11-creative-bookmarks.htm
unknowing

Post by unknowing »

Does this mean I can edit photo tags directly in the Details pane?
If you're referring to the Rating property you're out of luck.
It seems you can change from Unrated to 1 Star but no more.
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

unknowing wrote:
Does this mean I can edit photo tags directly in the Details pane?
If you're referring to the Rating property you're out of luck.
It seems you can change from Unrated to 1 Star but no more.
Thanks for trying to help, but I'm referring to that area at the bottom where you can show or hide a panel showing the properties for whatever file is selected in the file list. It is below the list of files you show in your example.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

rating is a weird property. It is formatted as "stars" but the underlying value is 0-100, the highest is for 5 stars.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...the highest is for 5 stars.
Thus: 1-20 for 1 star, 21-40 for 2 stars, 41-60 for 3, 61-80 for 4, and 81-100 for 5.

Yes, weird. You'd think a programmer~user intervention for common sense might be employed by... like... you know... a programmer... :roll: I mean, if users were forced to edit timestamps by their actual underlying values, we'd be here for awhile... :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

look at it from the positive side, now you can even declare something 2.5 stars (=50) ;)
unknowing

Post by unknowing »

nikos wrote:rating is a weird property. It is formatted as "stars" but the underlying value is 0-100, the highest is for 5 stars.
I somehow expected this kind of answer. :mrgreen:
Apparently this weird properties have been around since Vista (2007) and "are exposed to the programmer via an API" if you believe this posting.
I wonder how the next best freeware picture viewer (eg. nomacs) or other file managers, even MS Explorer :beer: managed to implement such feature graphically as stars.