Hide/Show Menu Bar

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BLUEPUPIL

Hide/Show Menu Bar

Post by BLUEPUPIL »

I ran search engine but cannot came across a similar thread. So, how to hide and show menu bar easy and fast?
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Hide/Show Menu Bar

Post by otlaolap »

When in the past I looked for "easy and fast", I failed to find anythng. The setting to control the menu bar can be edited using the advanced settings editor; it is on the second tab, "Layout Settings", under "Main Frame" -> "Dual panel" and is called "Hide menu bar". Unfortunately, to use the advanced settings editor all of the X2 windows must be closed.

For my own use I wrote a script that scans all windows, records for any X2 windows the location on the screen and the files open on the left and right panes (we ignore tabs), and closes them all; it then flips the state of the "hide menu bar" setting in the registry; and finally it restarts X2 windows for all of the ones it recorded earlier, placing them at the same position and openening them to their preceding positions. This, however, is not an easily sharable piece of programming. Simply opening an X2 window at a desired position, for example, requires registry fiddling (unless one is willing to move it after it has been opened). Further, not everyone uses the registry these days; X2 now has an ini-file mode of operating as well. And who knows what happens in Explorer-replacement mode. Possibly (perhaps probably) the forum participant known as Kilmatead has an elegant solution, and if so he will likely share it.

But you're right -- fast and easy is not easy and fast to find.
BLUEPUPIL

Post by BLUEPUPIL »

Thank you for the response, but I am afraid that I cannot bring back menu bar, because Tools> Advanced Options will disappear.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can access the advanced options editor if you browse the xplorer2 installation folder
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

It would be really nice if "Hide Menu" [toggled with "Show Menu"] could be added to the toolbar popup menu so that the menu bar can be hidden/restored from within xplorer2 itself.

Also - it seems odd (IMO) that the advanced options editor won't run if it detects an instance of xplorer2 (and even offers to close it), but the reverse is not true (i.e. xplorer2 will start quite happily while the advanced options editor is running).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

otlaolap wrote:Possibly (perhaps probably) the forum participant known as Kilmatead has an elegant solution, and if so he will likely share it.
Well, a couple of minutes of playing around produced an experimental and simple solution. :D

Important: There are two limitations: First, you cannot have the menu hidden in the settings to begin with. In other words, every time you start x2, the menu must be visible. The second limitation is that this is best used with x2's "Save Settings on Exit" disabled. While the method used does not change any settings, a weird side-effect can occur if auto-saving (see below).

Those caveats being followed, just run MenuToggle (from within x2) and it will hide the menubar. Running it again (from the same window) will show the menubar. Ad infinitum. Will work on scrap windows too.

The reason Save Settings on Exit should be disabled is that if you close a window and the menu is currently hidden, x2 will think that it was never there to begin with and it will tick the extended option of its own free will, so the menu won't be available on next startup and you'll have to go back into the extended options to re-enable it. If you disable auto-save ahead of time, this won't happen.

Like I said, this is just an experimental thing, but if there was some way a hidden HMENU from the x2 resources could be exposed, then it could be read, but as far as I know that's not available. I can only read the HMENU if the menu is visible to begin with. :shrug:

(Why the heck would anyone want to remove the main menu? I don't get it. You lads are weird. :D Anyway, this is just something for ye to play with.)
BLUEPUPIL

Post by BLUEPUPIL »

Kilmatead wrote:(Why the heck would anyone want to remove the main menu? I don't get it. You lads are weird. :D Anyway, this is just something for ye to play with.)
To get something like this: http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/294/8730294Y.jpg and http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/295/8730295L.jpg As you can see I am saving files and folders as 01,02,03 etc. otherwise 10 is before 2(see second photo). How to make name's appearance to became-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 etc.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tools -> Options -> Advanced (tab) -> Natural Number Sort