Is it possible to cut and paste after changing pane content?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

aml

Is it possible to cut and paste after changing pane content?

Post by aml »

Problem 1:

Normal behavior in x2 and in other file managers:
I do ^x in pane 1, switch panes, and do ^v in pane 2. File disappears from pane 1 and appears in pane 2.
Except that in x2, that ugly dialog appears for a fraction of a second, in which you could not do any setting in it anyway.

Problem 2:

Normal behavior in other file managers:
I do ^x in pane 2, switch to another folder in pane 2, do ^v in pane 2. File appears in pane 2. (And has dispappeared, invisibly, of course, from its original location.)

Behavior in x2:
I do ^x in pane 2, switch to another folder in pane 2, do ^v in pane 2. Here, the file is NOT relocated, but in pane 2, a new text file appears, which, when opened, contains as only text line the name and full path of the current folder, the name of the text file is x2scrap.
When I go back to the original folder, in pane 2, I see the file I wanted to move from there is always there, and if I do the ^x, the folder switch and the ^v another time, I get, in the new location, instead of the file to be moved, a second text file, with the same content as before, i.e. the full path of the current folder, but this second new file being named x2scrap2; and so on.

It is evident this has to do with the x2 scrap pane, which I don't need; I just want to move my files from one folder to another one, and without having to switch pane contents of a ANOTHER pane (here: pane 1) which should not be affected; I want the content of that folder to not change for this file move; in EVERY other file manager I have encountered, this is possible in the described way.

Unnecessary to say, I do not see any scrap pane (i.e. nothing pops up, not even the aforementioned, unwanted dialog), and obviously the file is not moved, without or with scrap pane, and the newly created text file "x2scrap" is devoid of any sense.

Is there some setting I would have to switch to get normal behavior? Thank you.

(I switched off my macro program for veryfing, so that isn't the culprit.)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Is it possible to cut and paste after changing pane cont

Post by Kilmatead »

Check under Customise -> Keyboard -> (Category) Edit -> Cut that the short-cut for "Cut" is actually set to <Ctrl+X>

It works as expected for me. (And without a better description, it's difficult to know what "ugly dialog appears" for you, and to which you may be referring.) :shrug:

The "x2scrap" file which is created under certain pasting operations is not related to scrap panes, but instead to the content of the clipboard. So, for example, if you were to <Alt+C> copy selections from a pane, and then <Ctrl+V> elsewhere, you get a text file with those paths. The same applies to images which you may have "copied" from some programme (or even just from <PrtScr> for a screenshot), it will create a PNG file of the clipboard image. This, obviously, is unrelated to your <Ctrl+X> issue, but simply explains the scrap file creation.

As I said above, if the shortcut for <Ctrl+X> is set properly (as by default) to "Cut" then it should work as you expect it to (the same as using the main menu command Edit -> Cut). Under ordinary conditions, this will not result in any x2scrap-file creation.
aml

Post by aml »

Thank you.

The dialog even appears, very shortly, even for moving a tiny single file, it's the Windows dialog "Move to" (and perhaps other things in other circonstances), i.e. a progression bar or something; of course this would only make sense for bigger files or groups of files.

I checked kb assignments, and I didn't touch ^c, ^x, ^v.
So the problem described remains, and as said, I'm speaking of single files - no need to try file groups when even single files are not processed correctly.
And as said, the created x2scrap text files x2 creates instead of moving the file, contains the path to the current folder, i.e. if current folder (which is the wanted target folder but into which x2 does NOT move the file) is c:\whatever, the text in the x2scrap text file, in c:\whatever, is "c:\whatever" (without the quotes), so this is devoid of any sense.

Perhaps I should add that I use XP (cannot do otherwise, the last time I had to reinstall my applications, this took me 100 hours, so change of OS is out of the question), and perhaps new versions of x2 do these weird things with XP while older versions would work fine, and new versions perhaps work correctly with W7/8/10.

Which arises the question WHICH older x2 version I should revert to in order to avoid these problems, IF that assumption, of "too new x2 in combination with too old an OS" is right of course.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

As Nikos goes out of his way to retain backwards compatibility with older Windows versions (even older than XP), I doubt that is an issue. I just tested it again with a virtual XP machine and it works fine for me.

As stated, the "x2scrap" files are only created by pasting clipboard data - and the only way the current directory's pathname would be in there in the first place was if the addressbar (and not the pane itself) somehow had focus and was copied after the original <Ctrl+X> was initiated on the file. Are you attempting to automate these keystrokes in some fashion? Like I said, I cannot replicate your difficulty, and nor can I recall other users having the same results from such a common action.

How are you browsing to the "target" folder? Directly, or pasting some text into the addressbar first? That would explain how the path gets into the clipboard and blocks (essentially cancels) the file transfer itself.

As a test, instead of using the keyboard shortcut, try directly using the Edit -> Cut command from the main menu and navigate directly to the target using a shortcut or something (without any other intervening copying/pasting by the user), and see if that gives the expected result. If so, then something else on your system is trapping the keyboard accelerator table and interfering.

As for the unwanted dialog, there is an option under Tools -> Advanced Options -> Layout Settings (tab) -> Do not display a progress dialog box - though that is a blanket setting and so would apply to all such transfers (except robust ones) no matter the size or length... and thus would be a bit impractical. If you are not using robust transfer, the dialog you see is provided by the windows shell itself, so it can only be shown or not-shown - x2 has no other control over it.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this command is working ok. Just to make sure you are issueing the correct commands, try using the menu instead of the keyboard shortcuts and you should see it working properly
aml

Post by aml »

Kilmatead, thank you very much for your kind explications.

I confirm that today, moving files works as expected again, and with my macro tool running or not running, does not cut in. The other day, moving files did NOT work in x2, whilst it worked in any other file manager I used (extensively, that day), so I cannot say at this point in time what may have been the cause.

To be frank, I did not understand the explications for the "x2scrap.txt" file you gave then, so I wanted to see about it for myself today, and it occurred to me that if you have got some text input in the clipboard, then do a ^v in an x2 pane, x2 will create a text file named "x2scrap(1/2/3...).txt", with, as content, that text from the clipboard.

So, the other day, not when leaving the source folder, but when navigating to / displaying the target folder (folder switching in the same pane), the path and name of the file to be moved, must have been lost from the clipboard in favor for the path of the target folder, which thus was taken as text for the newly created text file, as with any other clipboard text content. And repeatedly so, I tried 5 or 6 times then. Weird!

Today, I also EMPTIED the clipboard, THEN did a ^v in an x2 folder, expecting an empty text file to be created, but instead, x2 told me "Paste from clipboard failed" (which is logical after all).

This way, I at least saw the "notefile creation" function of x2 in action, which otherwise I probably would not have discovered. ;-)

Thank you again!