Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Copy Error: "Not enough quota is available to process this "

Post by pj »

The full error message is:
Windows error = 1816: Not enough quota is available to process this command.

This error halted a transfer of a medium sized folder structure. The transfer ended after 406 files of 654MB.

An MSDN page suggested increasing virtual memory.

Since I've performed MUCH LARGER transfers in the past, both in size and number of files, I'm puzzled this happened, and concerned I can't predict this or prevent this before I start any given transfer.

What's the root cause and how can x2 prevent or predict this to protect the user from the failure?

--------------------------------------
PJ in (IT'S ALREADY HOT) FL
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Copy Error: "Not enough quota is available to process th

Post by pj »

Second pass got 364 files more, 1.4GB total size.

I'm very puzzled and glad I'm not trying to move the WINDOWS folder. It holds about 30 THOUSAND files...

Task Manager shows 830MB free out of 4GB.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

A rather important question to ask, but are you using windows shell copy routines or x2's robust?

That said, without pretending to know what I'm talking about, Googling brings up a little more interesting information than a simple memory measurement. For example, this thread suggests the exhaustion of the Desktop Heap session space memory (this is unrelated to actual RAM in use). Essentially, pointing the finger at a wobbly shell extension you may be using which is spawning anew (with possible unseen iterative window/menu-elements) for each object copied, and thus overflowing at a somewhat random juncture (again, this is not respective of actual installed memory size). Probably indicating that you're using the Windows shell copy routines...

In any event, the obvious suggestions are to use Robust copy (if not already), disable shell extensions until you find the naughty boy (this might not be so simple on so abstruse an error condition), and if all else fails, view your heap state manually, to at least verify this (heap exhaustion) as being the root cause, if nothing else.

Again, the operative sentence here is "without pretending to know what I'm talking about"... meaning, if this was caused by space-aliens, or swamp-gas, or if Nikos actually knows what the real problem is, then I abjure all responsibility for possibly sending you on a wild goose chase (in as much as I would secretly delight in accomplishing such, I must publicly disavow that selfishly amusing motive). Amen. :wink:

I can say that I have never encountered this error before, personally, under any conditions - and I tend to subject my system to some fairly extreme conditions. Just sayin'.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I haven't heard of this error before but the question is did you use drag/drop or xplorer2's robust copy F5? Whatever you did try the "other" copy mechanism and see if it helps
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Used F5 both times. The error messages came straight from the copy log file.

I have the following options set during the transfer:
  • Overwrite if newer, else skip
  • Log errors and continue
  • Preserve original file and folder dates
  • Normal priority
So in two sessions, I've moved 770 files in 588 folders out of 2036 files in 1100 folders. It took me over an hour to get the properties of the FROM folder. Like I mentioned, the connection to this server is SLOW! This is going to be a long process!

K: Great information as always. I'll look at the installed shell extensions. The good news is this is a 32 bit system so there's no 32/64 mismatch possibilities hanging around.

--------------------------
PJ in FL
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Shell Extensions - no problem!

ShelExView (is there ANY tool that Nir Sofer or Mark Russinovich haven't created for free that you really NEED!?!?) shows a total of 272 extensions!!! Luckily 240 of them are from Microsoft -- Can you say "bloated"? Sure you can!

Scanning the other 32, it's easy to dismiss the Adobe, McAfee, Oracle and NVIDIA entries, leaving only a few to puzzle over. Roxio has a curious entry that appeared somewhat incomplete: The Product Name, Company Name and File Description fields all had the string "TODO: <product name>", etc. instead of real values. I guess the programmer never got back to his TODO list. :?

So that's disabled and I've kicked off another transfer. Tomorrow morning I'll either report success or another WTH moment.....

And speaking of TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms), any WTH thoughts on the new kid's movie featuring friendly giants titled (NO JOKE) "BFG". :roll:

Anyone familiar with the DOOM video game KNOWS what that acronym stands for, and the "F" ain't "friendly". :lol:
-------------------------
PJ in FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

pj wrote:Like I mentioned, the connection to this server is SLOW!
Actually, you did not "mention" earlier that this was part of a network transfer. That places the spotlight more into this neighbourhood because...
MSDN wrote:Bitmap Differential Transfer tracks which blocks of a file in the local cache are modified while you are working offline and then sends only those blocks to the server
...introducing a whole world of hurt (in circumstances where BDT may not apply) to the unwary traveller's memory spaces. Thus, you might look at adjusting the offline-file cache size, "just in case". :shrug:
pj wrote:...thoughts on the new kid's movie featuring friendly giants titled (NO JOKE) "BFG"
Apparently you missed your Roald Dahl primer. And I'll watch anything with Mark Rylance in it, as his rendering throughout Wolf Hall was a masterwork of quiet relentlessness, bested by none, yet perhaps only measured against Brian Blessed's magnificent glass-eyed death in I, Claudius oh so many years ago. English telly does have its moments (erstwhile though they sometimes be [including F's and G's]). :D
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Offline Files: Wish it were so easy :(

Limits already at 66.7GB

Usage: 0 bytes. Apparently the OS doesn't consider this transfer to be in scope for this setting... Not using sync, just copying the files to local storage to increase access speed 100x or so.

Deleted temporary files in case there was some old cache in the way, but these limits are still WAY above what I've transferred to date...

Kicking off the next round of transfers today. Will report results soonest...

Thanks again for the suggestions and the time spent looking at this!

----------------
PJ in FL