Freeze of xplorer² when accessing slow folders.

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

foolishpanda

Freeze of xplorer² when accessing slow folders.

Post by foolishpanda »

Hello,

So I am debating upgrading to a lifetime license for xplorer² but there is just this one issue that keeps nagging me:

Whenever I access a folder that is slow to load (e.g. folder on spun-down hard drive, network folder, etc..) the entire Program freezes until the resource is available.
Now I do understand, that I cannot expect this resource to magically appear faster, but what bugs me is that I cannot use any other function of the program while it is waiting for the resource. Especially in a multi-tabbed environment I would really expect the other tab to stay responsive and let me do other file-browsing, while the other tab is waiting for the resources.
It seems to me like everything is running in one thread. Why? I would have expected the tabs to do their operations on individual threads. or if not each tab, then at least the two panes. Or if not even such a strict assignment of threads to panes, why not have at least to threads that work on a job queue?

The way it is right now is very frustrating to me.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there perhaps just a setting I need to click? Might there be a patch which fixes this?

Thanks for any input in advance!
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Freeze of xplorer² when accessing slow folders.

Post by pj »

Nikos, just for the record I did NOT create a new account just to "mention" this "feetur" again... :?

-----------------
PJ in (hot and NO AC!!!) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the best recommendation I can offer is to use CTRL+N command to manually create a new thread (window), and do your slow browsing in there; the original window will stay responsive. Each xplorer2 window is a separate thread
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:the best recommendation I can offer is to use CTRL+N command to manually create a new thread (window), and do your slow browsing in there; the original window will stay responsive. Each xplorer2 window is a separate thread
NIKOS:

This may be the single BEST work-around you've ever offered! :thumbup:

I sometimes have to move or shread GB's of data that locks down x2 for a LONG time. This time I used the ctrl-N / new instance method above before I started and was able to keep working while the other instance locked down during the operation. :party:

Thank you for pointing out yet another feature of x2 that I forgot or wasn't aware of! :beer:

Another of a long list of reasons x2 is the ONLY program that I start EVERY time I turn on a computer :D

----------------------------
(usually grumpy) PJ in (sunny) FL :bigsmile:
foolishpanda

Post by foolishpanda »

Thanks for the answer.
I tried to find similar threads by searching the forum before posting, but wasn't able to find anything, so I opened another thread, sorry.

I was aware of the workaround, but I specifically use X2 in a single window mode, because the multiple windows thing was exactly what I hate about Windows Explorer.

Is this a question of the implementation being too complex to consider, or is it a feature that is way down on the list of todos?
Is there any reasonable expectation of this ever being implemented?

Cheers!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I can see that CLONE command doesn't work in single window mode, so I will fix it
in the mean time you can use a different layout as a means to a "clone" (WINDOW menu)