xplorer2 is opening spontaneously

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

steveoat

xplorer2 is opening spontaneously

Post by steveoat »

I have been using xplorer2 for years, but in the last few days, xplorer2 has started to open spontaneously -- repetitively, 5 or 6 times. For example, xplorer2 has currently opened itself up 6 times.

How do I prevent this?
steveoat

Re: xplorer2 is opening spontaneously

Post by steveoat »

A correction: 5 of the open versions show a separate external drive; one shows a networked drive
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

something on your system is trying to open folders and this misfires. The only solution is to uninstall xplorer2 then reinstall it without ticking the "replace explorer" option
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

This is [sort of] happening on my Win7 (but not Win8.1) system as well. It began 4 days ago - when xplorer2 started opening every time the PC booted. I have to close it once booting has completed, after which it doesn't happen again. I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of - so why xplorer2 is suddenly behaving like this is a mystery...

[Edit]
After being nagged remorselessly by xpolorer2 to check for updates on my Win7 rig, I finally updated to the latest build. That was 4 days ago according to my download history, which is when the above behaviour started. Today I delved into my Win7 registry and found 2 startup entries for xplorer2 - 1 in HKLM:Run, and another in HKCU:Run. Interestingly, on my Win8.1 rig, only the Local Machine entry was present. I've therefore assumed that it's the Current User one which shouldn't be in Win7, and have removed it.

Does the installer now write to HKLM:Run instead of HKCU:Run or is this a complete red herring?
[/Edit]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this registry setting depends on whether you've installed xplorer2 for all users or for one user. Or if you installed a number of times, you may end up with both