Transferring files locks up X2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

stunley

Transferring files locks up X2

Post by stunley »

I have installed the latest (3.3.0.2 x64 21/11/2016) Pro version of X2 on a fresh install of Windows 7 and I have a problem transferring files.

When transferring files/folders the dialogue only shows in the taskbar and the main X2 window freezes whilst the transfer takes place. I can see the transfer taking place via the green taskbar indicator but can't see details etc. Transferring using two Windows Explorer windows transfers the files normally.

Is there anywhere that I can download the previous release of X2?

ps. On a side note the registration for this forum is the most pointlessly convoluted I've ever seen. Also the password recovery options only work if you know your username (if I didn't find the registration email I would have to open another account, with another email).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transferring files locks up X2

Post by nikos »

how are you transferring files? Drag-drop, copy-paste? The only situation where this "locking" you say would occur is if you use EDIT > DUPLICATE menu command on a very large file. Your best bet is to use robust copy always (F5 key)
On a side note the registration for this forum is the most pointlessly convoluted I've ever seen
but you did manage it after all, and it keeps the spammers at bay :)
stunley

Post by stunley »

I used drag and drop. The dialogue is placed behind the main X2 window and while shift+left-click can enable the dialoge to move out from 'behind' the main window, it can't be brought into focus and the whole X2 window is locked during the copying operation and there are trails. Perhaps some issue with the graphics card driver? Does X2 use the graphics card?

Robust copy works well thanks, but I don't always use it (or remember to) for day to day copying.

Windows 7 pro btw.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I tried this on a VM running win7 and didn't see any problems, so let's try a few simple things for you

0. try drag drop with your windows explorer (to another explorer), does it also lock?

1. reboot and try again :)

2. if reboot doesn't help, first keep a safe copy of your settings (ACTIONS > EXPORT SETTINGS menu command)

3. then uninstall FULLY xplorer2 answering YES to lose the settings (remember you have a safe copy somewhere)

4. reinstall xplorer2

now you have a fresh "factory default" xplorer2, does this locking still occur?

ps to restore the original settings use ACTIONS > IMPORT SETTINGS menu command
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

I've seen and reported this behavior multiple times.

In my experience, the file transfers across a network are highly likely to lock up x2 for the duration or the large part of the time the transfer is in place. I've seen some cases where the transfer of many large files across home or work networks will start with x2 locked up, then at some point in the process x2 becomes responsive again, albeit very slowly.

----------------------
PJ in (sunny) Fl
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ah yes, pj chimes in with his positive feedback ;)
you didn't say anything about the other network improvements, or is it all just rubbish?
drag-drop copy is not xplorer2 doing (or fault) -- it is windows
if you want to blame xplorer2 try F5 copy -- which works flawlessly