Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for todays blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/centennial-vs2010.htm
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: blog: xplorer2 in the store?

Post by Tuxman »

I agree with you that Microsoft's efforts to make anyone a "good programmer" (with "good" being equal to "able to publish something that doesn't crash on the first start") are overrated. But I wouldn't say that the windows.h API is a better choice than C++'s default routines. LPCTSTR my ass.
The recommended development tool is Visual Studio 2015
I must admit that cl.exe has come a long way. I'm currently spending some of my time playing with C++17 features and I found the VS2015 compiler to be the only one with full support for (most of?) them. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Tuxman wrote:Microsoft's efforts to make anyone a "good programmer" (with "good" being equal to "able to publish something that doesn't crash on the first start") are overrated
I wouldn't say that's their agenda. The amount of sandboxing and castration of capabilities (you can't even select files without declaring "contracts") implies that MS now believes that all programmers are idiot spotty youths going after the end user's computer with malicious intent. That's why in a pure UWP app you can do almost nothing useful.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

There is a difference between cut-down possibilities (cf. Mozilla with its ridiculous "WebExtensions") and assisted programming though. Microsoft not only still lets you have the choice to shoot yourself in the foot, they even add new creative ways to do so almost every year.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Tuxman wrote:I agree with you that Microsoft's efforts to make anyone a "good programmer"...
Totally agree with that. And I will even take it further, since in this time around many people think of themselfs as a "Guru" of everything and, in the end, they don't know almost nothing.

Wisdom has a hard time this days, where most of our daily culture is based on lighting quickness, thought, politics... If you take time to develop something in detail, you are saw as if you were wasting your time and you are called a freak. Sadly, because of this trend, a significant portion of our society is becoming highly superficial, but I guess that is matter for other discussion. :wink:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2016 is...
POST-TRUTH
post-truth adjective
Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

just when you thought modern C++ couldn't become any more ridiculous... welcome coroutines!?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Time to rewrite x2 in Rust!
Tux. ; tuxproject.de