Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Browse to parent folder via breadcrumbs fails

Post by pj »

Using 3.3.0.2 Ult 32 bit on 32 bit Win 7 pro

Browsing a folder on a slow network drive (transfer rates run about 130kB/sec - I think the server must be at somebody's house on a dial-up line :evil: ).

When I click on a parent folder via the breadcrumb, x2 displays "Reading folder contents...(ESC to abort)", but about 75% of the time the message changes back to "Ready" and I'm still browsing the original folder, not the parent.

Using the Parent button in the toolbar or pressing BACKSPACE takes me up to the parent level consistently. This appears to ONLY happen on particularly slow server connections. It's inconsistent and I haven't found a contributing factor why one time it fails and the next time it passes.

----------------------------
PJ in (partly sunny) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Browse to parent folder via breadcrumbs fails

Post by nikos »

clicking on the breadcrumb bar is the same as typing the (parent) path name.
if this is a slow connection, you can try increasing the ping timeout (TOOLS > ADVANCED SETTINGS menu) from the default 5000 (==5 sec) value. However, if you already have a working alternative using backspace, I would recommend not touching anything!

are you accessing this through a mapped drive letter or a pure UNC \\path?
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

clicking on the breadcrumb bar is the same as typing the (parent) path name.
Yep. Editing the address bar to the parent name also fails. About 3 out of 4 times.

Well, "working alternative" is a little of a misnomer. I usually try two or three times with the mouse before I realize I need to take my hand off the mouse and use the keyboard. Though the time lost is small compared to the time to open a file from the server, any file, it just adds to the frustration, that's all.

As I said, it's only one server, just happens to be the one I'm working on most of the time these days, so I guess I'll just have to get my hand off my mouse and use the keyboard more often.

I use strictly \\UNC paths. I rarely map network drives any more. Too dependent on the setup of the local machine and not a portable solution.

-------------------------------
PJ in (sunny) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if that's the only network you're using then increase the ping timeout to the time it usually takes your network to respond, e.g. 10000 (=10 seconds)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

I'll give that a try!

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

-----------------------------------
PJ in (sunny) FL