baby steps towards deep paths

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

baby steps towards deep paths

Post by nikos »

here's a beta version for DeskRule, that supposedly can search in very long paths (>260 characters):
www.zabkat.com/test/deskrule_beta.zip
just unpack it wherever and run it (no installer exists).
There is a readme file that explains how you can create a really deep folder to test things. Or you may already have a few of these weird folders already!

even if you are not using deskrule but you are interested in long paths and you would like to help with their development I would appreciate your feedback
thanks
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: baby steps towards deep paths

Post by sanferno »

I'm a bit busy these days, but I'll try to test it.

Do I have to do something "special" or is just a matter of searching something inside a long path following that txt you have mentioned?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nothing special, just read the readme file if you don't have any real deep paths
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Is this correct? I'm not sure... :oops:
capt.jpg
I can't enter ". this is the last folder I hope" folder, but (if I've done correctly the junction) I can't add contents, and search for them as you can see.

EDIT: closing DR it has reported something to a log, how can I send it to you if its contents affect privacy in the forum?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how deep are these total paths? Try ALT+C on a filename and paste it in editor2, then use the column indicator (press F2 to turn word wrap off) to quickly count the characters. If they are over 260 letters long, then it works!

to send me the log file, zip & better email it (it's in the %TEMP% folder)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ps. for people who have installed deskrule before, you must "reset" some of the advanced registry settings to see the deep path functionality.

1. fully quit deskrule pressing ALT+X
2. Open REGEDIT and find this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Desk_Rule\general
3. find the value "binFlags" on the right hand side pane and delete it
4. restart deskrule
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Now it works! (assertions log continues) :)

Two things:
Path is so long that it isn't showed completely in "path" column.
This might be another topic but, at least for me it would be useful to add custom columns to result panel as it is with x2 (for instance, view the number of characters of the path).

EDIT: as for Icaros.ContainsChapters you can set it to "True", "False" or "" (void I guess). I didn't know/remember to have this "icaros", but it seems they are related with video. I've searched for "*.m2ts" with and without "ContainsChapters" and nothing is found (the test file is in the deepest path). I did more tests with other properties and nothing happens. :|
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

good !
one trick to add extra columns to the results is to add whatever rules you need as OR (optional) through the advanced search panel. They won't change the search results but they will show.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:They won't change the search results but they will show.
I've been using that and it's ok, but I thought maybe it could be done the other way since for my head it's more logical... :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I want to clarify that the deep path functionality developed is NOT just for windows 10. All windows XP+ should be able to use it. Just make sure you delete the aforementioned binFlags registry value
just in case there are adventurous people with older windows left :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:I want to clarify that the deep path functionality developed is NOT just for windows 10. All windows XP+ should be able to use it.
You might have mentioned that earlier, or I wouldn't have ignored this thread with the aloof indifference of a bored elephant. Though it does beg the question as to why DR wasn't long-path friendly in the first place, considering that aspect (of at least most of Win32) has been around for donkey's years...

That said, ever since MS started changing the contents of MSDN (to erase references to XP), that online documentation is no longer fully accurate or trustworthy when using older functions - you need to use the older, offline, dox sources to be sure. Tossers, the lot of them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I suppose the rodent is a has been? You seem on fire and business as usual :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:I suppose the rodent is a has been?
No, the clever mus musculus that is Vercingetorix is still a pain in this Caesar's arse. A Voldemort to my Potter. Javert to Valjean. The epic struggle goes on - I set landmines full of cheese and he urinates on my cutting board in protest; I enlist the whole of the King's Cavalry and he reports me to the authorities for undermining the Irish State as a rebellious Royalist. It's getting out of hand. He actually had the audacity to nibble on my keyboard while I slept the restless sleep of the damned last night! I used the usual trusty old peanut butter on the traps and he has the cheek to waltz right by them, as if to say he prefers crunchy to smooth!

For the moment he has not invited his mates around for a late night viewing of Fitzcarraldo (a ghost's favourite, I have it on good authority), but it's only a matter of time. Like with women, the standard rule is "If she does it with you, she'll eventually do it to you" (as in, if she cheats on her boyfriend with you, it's a done deal that sooner or later you're going to be the cuckold wearing the horns on his head) - this little prince seems to have taken a leaf (and a bite) out of every book I know from the Anatomy of Melancholy to Machiavelli. I have personally written to the Devil and have reserved an entire circle of Hell just for his wee furry butt. Not a mere room mind, but a whole fated circle itself. My vengeance shall know no bounds, my thirst no slaking, my purple prose to get no purple-ier: this is almost as bad as that time I found a whole bag of screws leftover from an Ikea build and I fretted over it for weeks - "What have I missed? Could I have done it better? Will the chandelier fall out of the ceiling the next time I flip the switch?"

It's curious how a small ball of blood bones and concatenated protoplasm can twist an already unhinged mind into full mental storm of Euhemeristic glee as I rewrite history to prove my own ends and reveal the true evil lurking underneath every refrigerator, washing machine, and computer keyboard in the hemisphere. Yaaarg!

So, how was your day? That BDJ thing paid off the mortgage yet? :twisted: :D
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Kilmatead wrote:
nikos wrote:I suppose the rodent is a has been?
No, the clever mus musculus that is Vercingetorix is still a pain in this Caesar's arse. ...

. Yaaarg!
Get a cat. :roll:

----------------------------
PJ in (former a farm in Kentucky) FL
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Re- the Rat, my .002c worth;
I was told that Rats will not touch a trap if human scent is all over it, irrespective of tasty treats that are placed in the things. I've never caught a single rat with a spring trap even after wearing surgical masks and plastic gloves when preparing the tasty treats and spending hours getting the spring tension "just right", you know, just fvcking right.

I resorted to well sunned tinned fish laced with copious quantities of rat poison, placed in various strategic places. It took a while and perhaps the neighbours cat which insisted on crapping in my garden path, the principle garden path if you please, two birds with one stone, the cat and rat must have had some symbiotic relationship going, any.....way....one's in meow heaven the others in beady eye heaven, the thing had the audacity to nest in my old ovens fibreglass insulation. Little rat.

Does all software manage long paths correctly ?. :bigsmile: