small feature request

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

small feature request

Post by FrizzleFry »

It would be nice if the folder data dialog/window (Alt-D) could be closed by pressing Esc. I have been using Alt-D a lot recently and it is annoying to have to use the mouse to close it.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: small feature request

Post by Robert2 »

It’s not a “dialog”, it’s an “active window”. As such, it closes with ALT+F4.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

That is good to know. It would still be convenient to have the option to close with Esc, but Alt-F4 handles my main annoyance.

Thanks.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Don't you have one of those little "background scripts" (which are always running, using no appreciable resources) to which you can just add this sort of thing for yourself? It's a convenient way of getting around Nikos' many ergonomic oversights. 35 years ago we used to call them TSR's [Terminate and Stay Resident], but the idea is still sound... :twisted:

I wrote one ages ago that "repurposes" <Esc> (in x2) to do a multitude of things: Automatically clear selections in the current pane; (or, if no selections) Cancel any current filter on the pane; or Close a scrap container that has no entries (such as from a failed search), etc. You just have to remember to "passthrough" the trapped <Esc> hotkey for any active programme/window which isn't x2 so the default key functionality doesn't become useless elsewhere.

Unfortunately the one I wrote is so personalised to my system that it's a bit difficult to extract for public use (it does other things too for other programmes) - but I've gotten so used to the above described behaviour that I forget it's not "stock". :wink:

This concept could easily be applied to <Alt+D> window dismissal, since that conveniently has the ATL:DirStatFrame class that you can trap for.

This kind of thing is what scripting was meant for - just an idea. :shrug:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I do have an AutoHotkey script like that. I'm using it primarily to get a remote control thing working with Kodi but I should be able to add some x2 stuff to it.

Thanks for that suggestion.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

BTW, I added Kilmatead's suggestion to my AutoHotkey script... so disregard this "feature" request...