Way to mass rename folders only?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

bitseeker

Way to mass rename folders only?

Post by bitseeker »

Hi there,

is there a way to mass rename folders and all subfolders in it? No files should be affected!

All i have to do is replacing "_" with "-" in a certain directory and all it´s subdirs?

thx for help.

bitseeker
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Way to mass rename folders only?

Post by otlaolap »

If you don't get an answer using the features of Xplorer2, the freeware Bulk Rename Utility http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php does an outstanding job of enabling complex renames on multiple levels.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The built-in mass rename tool will not act on sub-folders so you will need to use one of the many renaming tools... Advanced Renamer let's you easily act on all the folders (including sub-folders) in a path.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

x2 can do exactly what you want if you first load up a scrap container with the folders you want to rename. Install Kilmetead's LocaleSearch tool.

With LocaleSearch installed, select the top-level folders you want to have all their sub-folders renamed and press the toolbar button you created. Clear the checkmark beside "files", and the scrap container will be loaded with only subfolders.

Select the subfolders (or select ALL with ctrl-A), run the mass renamer with all those folders selected and select and replace the "_" with "-". Be aware that only the FIRST INSTANCE of "_" found within each folder name will be replaced. Run multiple times to change all occurrences if there are more than one "_" in the names.

------------
PJ in (cold, yes I said cold, man! It's in the 50's out there!) FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It's almost as if no one remembers the easy stuff anymore. :wink: You don't need to install anything to do this. Just do a normal search (Ctrl+F) and uncheck "Files" from the window. Select all of the results that appear, or just the ones you want.

You won't need to run the rename multiple times... the File -> Mass Rename command has a "multi-replace" mode option. Just set What to match to '_' (without the quotes), and the Target name template to '-'. Preview/Apply. No messing around with funny tokens or anything else. :shrug:

That being said, I too am a great proponent of dedicated 3rd-party renaming utilities - they can do pretty much anything you could ever want once you get used to whatever paradigm they use to define/apply multiple "rules", etc, to accomplish everything in one go. There are many very good free ones available (my personal choice is ReNamer) but all will integrate well with x2.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I never really think about using mass rename from scrap panes... since the op is only doing a simple replace (_ with -) that would do the trick...