Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at:
http://zabkat.com/blog/dark-window-theme.htm
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: blog: dark window theme

Post by pschroeter »

Did anyone ever figure out how to change the color behind the document in Word 2013? Even with the "dark gray" theme it burns my retinas. After four years I'm a little use to it, but I would still like a gray that's a shade or two darker. I know Word 2016 has a darker theme, but it is too dark and flat and makes the icons all lifeless and cartoony. I still have wonder what Microsoft team though making Word all white was a good idea, it literally hurt my 56 year old eyes.

Sorry, I meant the background surrounding the white document pane on either side to the left and right.
Last edited by pschroeter on 2017 Feb 26, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

pschroeter wrote: 2017 Feb 26, 18:41 Did anyone ever figure out how to change the color behind the document in Word 2013? Even with the "dark gray" theme it burns my retinas. After four years I'm a little use to it, but I would still like a gray that's a shade or two darker. I know Word 2016 has a darker theme, but it is too dark and flat and makes the icons all lifeless and cartoony. I still have wonder what Microsoft team though making Word all white was a good idea, it literally hurt my 56 year old eyes.

Sorry, I meant the background surrounding the white document pane on either side to the left and right.
Sorry, it looks like that this is not possible. I've spent a full hour in googling and trying previous week, but nothing.

The closest I got, is to turn down the monitor. But there goes the contrast, which is bad for my 58 years old eyes.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Why not use the Draft View mode?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

@Nikos,

Going along with this blog post, is there a way to select the font color used when setting the pane background colors to dark colors?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, the text color is chosen automatically to provide a good contrast to whatever you picked for background
atomdrift

Post by atomdrift »

Thank you for this blog post, Nikos! Since Windows 10 finally introduced dark mode for Windows Explorer, it got me wondering how to do this with xplorer2, and the guidance in your blog post result in an acceptable dark mode.

Thanks again for all your hard work here!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:thumbup:
platanos

Post by platanos »

Hello, I've followed the blog steps to have a black background (I'm using the lite xplorer2 version).

However, when I select with the mouse several files I can hardly see the blue background. In Windows 10 explorer they get a gray color, so it can be seen well, but in xplorer2 it's almost impossible to see.

Look the screenshots:

How can I fix this in xplorer2 ?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't think xplorer2 can change the color of the selection
you can try TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and in the GLOBAL property page tick the option "disable some vista effects" and see if it improves the situation
platanos

Post by platanos »

nikos wrote: 2019 Feb 11, 19:56 i don't think xplorer2 can change the color of the selection
you can try TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and in the GLOBAL property page tick the option "disable some vista effects" and see if it improves the situation
Thank you, that solved it!

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

@Nikos: Have there been any changes to the way that this works from th time the blog was written?

Specifically, can you adjust the actual UI elements themselves (slidebars, ribbon bg color, etc) to match the pane colors?

Also, does the Windows 10 feature Night light affect this in any way? (I know that Night light works, for the most part, much in the way that night mode does on my Android-based cell phone, except that, for some reason, the mouse cursors (at least on certain mouse themes, haven't tried them all) are not affected, making it look very weird to see a normal hued mouse icon on a desktop that has been warmly hued by night light....

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 cannot do much about window elements like scrollbars etc. Wrt ribbon, you can set its background color using ADVANCED OPTIONS menu
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: blog: dark window theme (now when it is possible in Windows explorer)

Post by neko »

nikos wrote: 2019 Feb 16, 07:29 xplorer2 cannot do much about window elements like scrollbars etc. Wrt ribbon, you can set its background color using ADVANCED OPTIONS menu
Now when with Windows 10 file explorer, it's possible to switch to a dark mode, could we get dark mode for xplorer2? Please? Image

Dark mode looks very nice in Windows Explorer, so it might look good in xplorer2 as well. Would it be possible to get a dark theme to xplorer2?

I would even be willing to pay for it. Special - Dark Ultimate -edition (for loyal paying customers). ;) €$£₾₽₺₴¥฿!! :party: Image

Edit. This is a great week (it could be greater):
  1. Android TV version of Local entertainment app finally have HBO.
  2. Android version of Vivaldi browser released.
  3. And Nikos promises a dark theme for xplorer2?